Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R

DC5R engine ticking at 3500-5000 rpm

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a DC5R with a tick over 80000km on the clock, driven it from Melbourne to Perth, with no VTECing on the way (story for another time). When I got to perth changed the coolant and gave her some fresh oil, OEM of course. I saw in the 80000 km service that the vavle clearances were to be checked, so I just recently got that done. However here in lies my problem. There is a ticking noise that comes on at ~3500rpm and goes right through to ~5000rpm then the noise subsides and everything is all ok to the redline. The noise is like someone holding a playing card up against a spinning bike tyre if you can imagine that. I originally thought it was a vavle clearance problem due to the fact that the car was neglected by its previous owner per se. There are other things to restore this beauty up to standard, so I was just wondering has anyone come across this problem and should I be concerned. Any thoughts on the issue would be much appreciated.

Turbos are cheating even though I've owened a RX7
    Back to the thought of NA ftw all the way!!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Did you take regular breaks throughout your journey - checking water/oil levels? Long journeys may cause overheating to the engine. From experience, it sounds to me you may have an exhaust leak.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Had a friend with a similar problem and we found out it to be the tappets were off torque, we got the feeler gauge and did them back up and that got rid of his problem. The noise, is it a higher pitch noise?
    Parting 1997 Integra GSi Turbo.
    Everything for sale: Visit my thread
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-for-sale-more

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5-R
    where is the noise coming from and can you feel any vibration? If you feel vibration under your seat and hear noise coming from what seems to be your exhaust, its probably a busted engine mount.

it sounds like a leaking exhaust

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    A testament to Honda, they make very fine and nice cars, my ITR got me from Melbourne to Perth in 2 and bit days. Yes I stopped every 3-4 hrs, would never let my fuel tank drop below half and used nothing but 98 in her bar the outback where 95 was the only option. Never once had a problem with over heating or drop in oil pressure. Lets just leave it at the Honda Engineers knew what they where doing when they created this beast

Anyways to my problem, I've done a bit more investigating the sound comes on closer to 4000rpm, initially I have heard that it may a VTEC pin that has rattled loose and hitting against the vavles. Since this is when VTEC comes on in a K20A2. Despite this noise the car sounds fine and is running well. From what I have read (thank you guys) it might just be a leaky and loose exhaust, hopefully the case. The noise I can hear is a distinct tapping that follows the RPM range and its not high pitched, once it comes on, its fairly mellow and distinct. I shall investigate it further at a latter stage but for now I think I can leave this problem and focus on getting everything else fixed up with her.

Btw would anyone know what I would go to a mechanic and ask to get this noise looked at? Don't want to spend a fortune for them to find the problem. Honda charges like $110ph for their work

who did the valve clearances?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by ekay1 View Post
    it sounds like a leaking exhaust
    A leaking exhaust doesnt make a ticking noise btw.

[QUOTE=silverspoon;2720771] There is a ticking noise that comes on at ~3500rpm and goes right through to ~5000rpm then the noise subsides and everything is all ok to the redline.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverspoon View Post
    Anyways to my problem, I've done a bit more investigating the sound comes on closer to 4000rpm, initially I have heard that it may a VTEC pin that has rattled loose and hitting against the vavles. Since this is when VTEC comes on in a K20A2.
    Vtec on a K-Series is >5500rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    who did the valve clearances?
    Tinkerbell is right. What you have been describing does sound alot like a valve clearance problem. Might be worthwhile looking into it?

Check out this thread:
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...R-have-Lifters

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by DC5.Raven View Post
    Vtec on a K-Series is >5500rpm.
    Doesn't VTEC kick in twice in a K series? Once lower in the rev range and then again at 5500rpm

Got the clearance done by Burswood Honda, been trying to get in contact with the mechanic but life's buzy. Checked out those youtube links, my case doesnt happen at idle but through a certain rev range. I think the problem may be a little more complex than a simple vavle clearance adjustment and hence costly exercise. For now though I'm trying to steer away from hitting that rev range and everything still runs fine.

Anyone know a good Honda technician in Perth other than factory??

There is no 2 vtecs......... there is the low lobe on the cam and the high lobe same as your usual vtec engine

The difference is from about 3500rm the cam will advance to up to 45 degrees on the low lobe, before swtching to the high lobe (which is your vtec) this is called i-vtec and is all done via the computer and throttle input.

I say it is a valve clearance/ tappets not adjusted correctly, They probably arent smashing the pistons as you would have known about it by now, however they might be doing something like slightly touching the valve seats. Get it looked at again =)
    ghettofantabulous

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5R
    any updates?? mine seems to be doing the same. grrrr
    90KUU The Super Saiyin Type R

i think im having the same problem as you but sometimes i dont hear it, but yesterday i had a ticking sound around 3500-4000 rpm range and it goes away before and after that it gets worse if im turning a corner between those revs or if im going up hill do you have that problem as well? i hope theres a solution to this i dont know if its bad for hte car or not...