Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000

Headunit that you can navigate on ipod with

Hey guys,

I need a basic (read: cheap alpine/pioneer, nothing too flash) headunit that has iPod integration, but where I can still actually use the iPod to navigate my music, rather than having to use the headunit menus to navigate etc which is f***ing annoying.

I'm considering the Alpine CDA-105. However with this deck you can't use the ipod to browse the library (it goes into "accessory connected" mode). Might be because the ipod plugs in via a USB cable (as opposed to other sorts of docks).

I basically only need ipod integration, an RCA output for the sub and the possibility to add bluetooth later. This alpine deck has them all aside from the no-navigating on ipod thing.

Know any other decks which I can get which will allow me to use the ipod to navigate rather than the menus?

need info ASAP as i'll be buying really soon!

thanks

theres alot out ....just look for AUX 3.5mm input ....thats where u can connect ur ipod and navigate using the ipod

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic ep3
    Do a search on eBay for the jvc kd-r905. It's 320 delivered. iPod/mp3/2xusb and Bluetooth. It gives u option for control by headunit and iPod. U won't find a better price than that for what it's got

Member Array
    Car:
    89 & 97 Legend
    Not sure about other brands but Clarion (which i have) allow you to choose weither you want the head unit to control the ipod or let the ipod control. and yeh i hate having to use the headunit to control the ipod such a pain to read the songs off the little screen.
    The Legend King. Of Adelaide
    1989 KA3 Legend Coupe
    1997 KA9 Saloon
    Why? because Legendary thats why.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by gas
    theres alot out ....just look for AUX 3.5mm input ....thats where u can connect ur ipod and navigate using the ipod
    yeah, i considered that route which is easiest, but decided i'd like to have control over tracks etc with my dash controls which is why i need full integration..

Quote Originally Posted by doosra
    Do a search on eBay for the jvc kd-r905. It's 320 delivered. iPod/mp3/2xusb and Bluetooth. It gives u option for control by headunit and iPod. U won't find a better price than that for what it's got
    definitely looks like an option, a bit outta my $$$ (even though its massive value), i'm visiting the US for a short while which means i can grab an alpine/pioneer HU for a lot cheaper than you can get them for in aus. plus, i'm not sure whether the JVC one has a dash control integration kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_Gib0
    Not sure about other brands but Clarion (which i have) allow you to choose weither you want the head unit to control the ipod or let the ipod control. and yeh i hate having to use the headunit to control the ipod such a pain to read the songs off the little screen.
    interesting - i'll put clarion into my search..

how about the Pioneer DEH-P6200BT?

has bluetooth, HD radio and ipod integration.

actually think this might be the one! has anyone had any experience with it?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic ep3
    u really don't need dash control with the jvc unit.. cause the remote control is so tiny that i hold it on my left hand while i drive and change gears...

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Hey, I was in the same position as you and now you can have a much better bargain than I did...

I bought one on sale for $240 (was supposed to be like $450 or something) about 4 months ago. The Pioneer DEH-3100UB.

I have it in my car - and trust me, iPods sound heaps better using the USB port than using the 3.5mm input. You can choose to control it via the head unit or the iPod.

You get the sub out as well.

You can get it at JB-Hifi for about $170 or something at the moment? They're doing a Pioneer run out... I think the head unit looks awesome as well (I really like the blue).

Only thing is there's no bluetooth but for that price I think it's awesome (wish I waited...)

Just some input, I used to like controlling it via the iPod as well, but once you get used to it, it's actually better to use the head unit. Less taking your eyes off the road. Just make sure you make a playlist of songs that you actually like so you don't have to keep skipping. But yeh your preference! Whenever my girlfriend is in the car I have to switch it back to iPod mode lol

Member Array
    Car:
    01 S2000
    Check this ebay seller out. I'm just about to order from them when I get this weeks pay check. Cheapest prices I've seen so far + free shipping. They are in Vic too.

Don't US head units have different frequencies?

Shoulda waited androo...that store below has the newer head unit DEH 3250 for $185 delivered...

Whoops forgot the link

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/style...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
    Last edited by jbird; 25-03-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by androo
    Hey, I was in the same position as you and now you can have a much better bargain than I did...

I bought one on sale for $240 (was supposed to be like $450 or something) about 4 months ago. The Pioneer DEH-3100UB.

I have it in my car - and trust me, iPods sound heaps better using the USB port than using the 3.5mm input. You can choose to control it via the head unit or the iPod.

You get the sub out as well.

You can get it at JB-Hifi for about $170 or something at the moment? They're doing a Pioneer run out... I think the head unit looks awesome as well (I really like the blue).

Only thing is there's no bluetooth but for that price I think it's awesome (wish I waited...)
    true, thats a pretty good price. i just grabbed a pretty good deal actually - bought a pioneer deck from the states. shit's so much cheaper in the USA. makes sense for me as i'm going for a short trip for a couple of weeks and can pick it up from a relo's house!

Quote Originally Posted by androo
    Just some input, I used to like controlling it via the iPod as well, but once you get used to it, it's actually better to use the head unit. Less taking your eyes off the road. Just make sure you make a playlist of songs that you actually like so you don't have to keep skipping. But yeh your preference! Whenever my girlfriend is in the car I have to switch it back to iPod mode lol
    quick question about this androo - can you still use the headunit controls when you've got the thing in ipod mode? like for pausing, changing tracks etc?

Quote Originally Posted by jbird
    Don't US head units have different frequencies?
    nah, I checked, they use the same frequency range for FM. no idea about AM, but who listens to AM these days anyway!

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I don't think so but will check when I drive home tonight and let you know. I don't think so though...

My understanding is that... When it's in iPod mode (controlling via iPod), the headunit let's the iPod do all the work and only excepts the input from the iPod.

When it's in headunit mode, then the iPod shows 'Pioneer' on the screen and lets the headunit do all the work. I'm unsure as to if iPods allow two forms of input at the same time but again I will check tonight and get back to you!

Check back in a few hours or tomorrow morning! I have work then a dinner to go to.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 DC2R
    ive got a jvc one that allows u to navigate thru songs on both the head unit and on the ipod, cant tell u the product code now but i bought it for $250 at autobarn about 6 months ago. its the 1 where the headunit can change 25 diff colours. this 1 charges ur ipod too

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Hey guys,

Just confirming... The Pioneer one I recommended can't do what you asked. Once you've got it in iPod mode (control via iPod) then the head unit acts just like any other head unit when you use the 'AUX' port. You can't control with both unfortunately.

Still a great head unit. Anyone else hear a huge difference in sound quality using the iPod's USB attachment rather than the 3.5mm connection? There was a huge difference in mine.

I still reckon... For $170 or so it's an awesome head unit. I'm running my speakers off it and they sound heaps better than my old system (EG Civic, front speakers amp'd via Sony amp). I spent less (didn't need an amp) and I honestly think it sounds better than the Sony system. Although, the Sony head unit I bought was only $120 so there was a price gap but I thought it wouldn't matter if I was running an amp.

Anyway good luck! Let us know what you decide on!