Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: b16a vs b18cr

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel

b16a vs b18cr

hey guys I've been trying to search for threads that are just straight b16a vs b18cr but haven't really found anything so i'm pretty sure its been covered though so sorry for asking but can't find it

I'm looking at doing an engine conversion in the near future and I'm torn between boosting a b16a or just dropping a b18cr into my eg, if you guys can help me out with the pro's/cons, we'll just do the stock comparisons, dont want to go into too much detail about mods. This car will be a daily as well
    Last edited by pablos8; 27-07-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    B18C7 1.8L
    147kw at the fly

B16A 1.6L (AUS)
    118kw at the fly

B16A 1.6L (JDM)
    120 to 126kw at the fly depending on version

So the main difference is 1.6L v 1.8L

The question is, will you be boost the B18?

Boosted B16 is way faster than a NA B18C7
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    from what I've read the additional cubic capacity makes a big difference to low rpm pull. Never driven a B16A equiped car but I'm sure you have to get the rpms pretty high before you feel any kind of pull. Is it really something that can be compared? its like comparing apples to oranges

B16 is also about half the price

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    just save for the b18c

save money in modding the b16a

or with the budget of the b18 u could turbo the b16a

I've driven an ek4 a lot, I have an eg with a b18cr and an ek with b18c7, plus I'm trying to sell an evo9
    turbo will always put out more power but it boils down to wat ur after
    I like the reliability that na has, not saying that turbo isn't reliable, evo has been faultless, but there is so much more that can go bang when u mess around with the engine
    I prefer na

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    suggestion b18c2 boosted?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    For EG I recommend B18C2 because it's around the same price as B16A. Save a good few thousand by not using C7 or CR, and you get a 1.8 that makes nice HP. Will pull really well

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by blabla View Post
    suggestion b18c2 boosted?
    GT28R
    + Fuel injectors
    + Tune
    + Spark plugs
    + I dunno

b18c > b16a, get good qualitly parts for the b18c and keeping it n/a will save you future problems. Hence the age of these cars are getting older, and I personally love the sound of a b18c more than a b16a...

my .02c

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    In my OPINION, If you can, go for the B18CR over the B18c2 for the following reasons:

You're gonna transfer the power much better with shorter ratios, 4.7FD and LSD.

You have an extra 500rpm to play with.

Needless to say, more power stock vs stock.

More distinct VTEC engagement; the nice and crisp mmBARRR as opposed to the feint VTEC engagement from the c2 (unless modded).

If I was able to choose again, I would go for B18CR.

Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    from what I've read the additional cubic capacity makes a big difference to low rpm pull. Never driven a B16A equiped car but I'm sure you have to get the rpms pretty high before you feel any kind of pull. Is it really something that can be compared? its like comparing apples to oranges

B16 is also about half the price
    I have an ef8 with b16a.

I leave it in 4th and drive it like an automatic.

plenty of pull for me down low.

but maybe its cos the ef8 is so light.

plenty of torque in a b18cr to drive around in 4th.
    it all depends on what u got to spend and what ur goal is. if u dont have the cash, then get what u can afford, but the old adage holds true, u get what u pay for

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Legs
    u could go a b16a2 and build it up a bit b4 you put it into the car? they dont have much torque down below but make up for it up top and with sum extra cash spent on the engine (even jus typeR headers) u would make your car into quite a rocket, besides u will be weighing in a few hundred kg lighter would work well in your favor.