Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Running rich, possible reasons?

Ok recently my car has been running a bit rich, an when i mean that, like 10liters per 100kms.... which is poor for a honda

What could cause it to run ruch?

You could blame my driving habbits, but this isnt the case, as its been happening the last 3-4 full tanks of petrol

-always running 95Ron BP, never other servo petrols,
    -Oil Vavoline SynPowerŽ Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-30, oem filter changed recently, 500kms into it
    -stock motor
    -cat back exhaust
    -130,000kms

(Ps D16y8 motor)
    Last edited by mugen_ctr; 26-04-2010 at 09:15 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    How's the temperature of your engine? Normal all the time? Once my thermostat died and stayed open all the time, so my engine was constantly cold and using lots of petrol because it couldn't reach optimal operating temperature.

Tried resetting ECU? There's instructions here on how to do that, though I'm not sure if that could be the reason.

And are you blowing and dark smoke?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    dont think so, temperature seems normal, although i wouldnt know for sure as i dont have a temp gauge hooked up atm... ill try and find the tutorial for resetting the ecu, an see how that goes...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    lol bp 95 has ethanol in it, stop using it if you have an ej8, hence bad fuel ecconomy lol

now change your plugs, clean you air filter element, change your oil and oil filter, also fuel filter

not alot of 95s around now without ethanol in them, you should really be using 98 to ensure there is no ethanol in the fuel
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by EK1.6LCIV View Post
    lol bp 95 has ethanol in it, stop using it if you have an ej8, hence bad fuel ecconomy lol
    You sure about that? According to BPs MSDS (material safety data sheet) BP premium 95 octane does infact not contain ethonal as stated in composition/information on ingredients.

So unless this is a very recent change BP premium 95 octane doesn't contain ethanol. I'll have to double check next time I fill up

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    lol, I work on theirs and others piping projects, all their fuel apart from ultimate has ethanol there's brouchers at all servos for this very reason lol

they did the push to ethanol like most other servos some years ago... which is why I pay for premium as ethanol fks honda engines

legislation doesn't require you to even state if ethanol below 10% is present anyhow which is why sooo many people have a winge about cars driving like arse

it's not running rich, it's runny badly due to poor octane and fuel quality
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 27-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    I see. so fuel stations are being sneaky. I dont read those brochures as I only put 98 RON in

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    it's not sneaky, the govt a few years ago now when the ethanol technology became viable (Iraq, cost of crude etc) they just starting comissioning alot of new processes and decided the best bet was to blend into more of the fuel on offer, now leaving 98 as the last true source of non-ethanol fuel. Last time that shit was in mine was when I let my buddy fill it up (govt worker, lol) so instictantly he reached for the ethanol bowser and filled it up, took me weeks to figure out why it was running like shit, then I checked my docket lol. Once I figured it out I ran the car til the damn light was on for a good 60km, changed the plugs, cleaned the air filter, threw away the fuel filter, and changed the oil filter and oil. Ran like a gem again and haven't let him near my car since lol

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    so u rekon, stop using bp 95, an pay another extra 5-10c for bp98?

Is other 95ron petrol, such as caltex an that are blended ethanol fuels aswell?

I know for fact that 91ron will give less kms outta of a tank, hence why i use only 95....

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    negative, just run vpower, matilda premium (shell under another name), caltex premium, bp ultimate, mobil premium

just stay away from 95s in general, it's just not worth running any mix no matter how small of ethanol in your fuel system that's not designed to cope well

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    ah ok, cheers mate, gonna run the 95ron fuel empty first, than next tank shall defiantly be 98ron, and see from there about the economy

Member Array
    Car:
    Subaru Tai-berty
    check if ur o2 sensor is plugged in properly. check the plugs n clips.