Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000

Does spoon air filter require oiling?

Hi guys just received my spoon air filter in the mail and wondering if anyone knows if the spoon air filter for s2ks requires oiling? Had a search over at s2ki.com but there was mixed responses. Some people say it's a dry foam filter type and therefore requires no oiling while others say you do need to. My thoughts personally are that because the pore size is quite large it would need oil to improve filtration? Anyone know what the answer is?

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Pretty sure when you buy it it comes 'pre-oilled'. So if you wash it, you'll need to oil it afterwards.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000
    Well i just opened it yesterday and it doesnt seem oiled. There's no oil smell and the filter is a completely dry yellow foam material. I wonder if it is meant to be used straight out of the box or if I have to pre-oil prior to use. I am currently under the impression I'm meant to use something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNI-A...Q5fAccessories

But spoon makes no mention about any oiling. The only instructions are on the following sticker and it only discusses cleaning (according to my japanese translator mate):

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1164006_n.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    The whole purpose of using a sponge element is they are capable of trapping dirt better than most filters out there if and when oiled correctly. Therefore in extreme environments they work best and have been used by many, in all forms of motorsport. But i've never seen an unoiled sponge element, as it is nearly useless, and would only stop large foreign matter. I would still oil the element regardless of Spoon's claim.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO

Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000
    Cheers, I will do just that. Not sure how the reputation system works but you've been rep'ed (Y)