Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EM1 CF boot, reinforcement to allow for a rear wing, Any ideas? PICS ARE UP.

All i can really think of is to cut out some of the softer boot material away so that i can get to the under side, flat surface of the carbon. Then mount on the underside, two rectangular tubes of 3mm or so Alloy (already found them at bunnings) I'm thinking the square tubes because i don't think they will flex barely at all, and will sit up hard against the boots surface.
    Mounted with a bolt on the outer sides, as well as the four bolts where the brackets for the wing are. Therefor when the downforce from the wing puts pressure down onto the boot it will spread the weight load across the whole surface of the boot and not just the centre.

Anyone else got any ideas? or suggestions?
    Last edited by DNYALL; 09-05-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: updated with pics
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

mike, i know this is probably gonna be an overkill/extreme for you, but what about something like this ? they've welded a bracket directly to chassis to there wont be any flex due to downforce.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    over kill on a em1
    thats massive lol
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

But that car's got the right idea.

You're better off getting custom brackets made to suit the OEM holes / on the side, as the side of the boot should be re-inforced.
    Im not too sure in regards to carbon fibre boot; never owned one.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

ok My dad and I have been tinkering around with re-inforcement options with the boot. should be all finished tomorrow night. will post up pics when its done and get some opinions. Obviously the best and most effective way would be to install it like the picture posted above, but being my daily drive still, I can't really justify all that bar work.
    MSC Performance FTW

Do you have a boot brace?
    Easy.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

boot brace? wat do u mean? well anyway, it is installed. used a couple of alloy angle pieces on the top of the boot to displace the weight a bit and also a few bars to re-inforce the underside of the boot. To be honest i thought it was just gonna crack the CF on the first outing but I did a test run the other day ( up to the same speeds i reach at winton anyway, secret test location ) and it seems to of held up no problems, no cracks and the boot seems to be taking the downforce. I just have to rig up some straps to hold the boot hard down on its rubbers, so that the downforce generated from the wing isn't wasted in the rubbers.

I am thinking that if the boot is already hard down on the rubbers then the downforce will then be transferred more directly to the body. Thats my way of thinking anyway. I am no expert and i know that this way of mounting it isn't 100% effective, i'm still hoping that it will give some downforce to the back to hold it a bit more steady coming into braking sections as well as the faster high speed corners. Especially the sweeper at Winton which is where i seem to come unstuck the most :/ haha

I Am gonna go up to the hills this arvo and take some photos while its still on. Don't think i will run it on the street, even though i kinda like how it looks atm I know most will hate it...
    Last edited by DNYALL; 09-05-2010 at 06:38 PM.
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    So,what's new?!

Waiting patiently

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    yeh, hurry up with the pics already...lol

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yeah,someone is getting creative on Ozhonda - WOW!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Looking forward to seeing photos of the wing installed on your car. I've always been a closet fan of wings it's a shame the Fast n Furious revultion kinda ruined it for me.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

ok here are some pics. Took it for a spin up Mt Donna Buang. Enjoy

Nothing to fancy, but so far the boot hasn't shown any signs of cracking or damage, so it seems to have worked. I think i might have to adjust it a little to give a bit more angle though. I gotta have a play with it at the track and see if it makes any real difference. But overall i'm happy

Here u can see the alloy bar on the underside of the boot. it is there to give support for when the wing sort of pulls up on the mounts, because the wing will push back on the rear mounts so it will try to lift on the front mounts. this bar is there to displace the weight: (at least thats my theory)

I cut up some more bar to fill in the gaps so that it is hard up against the underside of the boot:

The angle pieces on the top are there to again, displace the weight load a bit and also the angle shouldn't be able to bend, also the rear mounts which is where the downward pressure will be applied, I figure, it is close to the back so then the back downward section should be able to take the pressure.

Rear vision shot haha:

Last edited by DNYALL; 09-05-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: info adding
    MSC Performance FTW