Need Advice: Claim ~$7000 from write-off or re-purchase my repairable write-off 98 EK

Hi guys,

I'll just get straight to the point..

I've got a '98 Honda Civic EK repairable write-off (yes, hail damaged..) that is mechanically sound and has only done ~110,000km. I've never had any problems with it, but it's got more humps & bumps than Fergie.

My insurance company have offered me $7,000, ELSE I can choose to buy it back at it's salvage value of $2,800. But, if I want to put it back on the road I need to do/spend the following:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

- VIV Inspection fee $484
    - RwC $80

Pending it passes both, I'll keep my Civic and pocket $4,200, then just pay for 3rd party insurance. My only concerns are:

- I've got a large dint on my front quarter panel that might need to be repaired, along with my site mirror that is still intact, but is slightly lose = $$$
    - Will my car be sellable in n-years time? If so, will I be able to fetch more than $4,200? Otherwise, the other option seems more financially smart...

Like to hear your thoughts. Drop a post

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    vti-r ek?

i'd do it, buy it back and drive it down to the ground. pay the fees for vicroads, i wouldnt bother fixing up the qtr panel

which of course if u were looking to upgrade (if you can) then take the money
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

nar, just a CXi - nothing spesh..

I suppose keeping it is fine, given I don't have to make any additional repairs to get it passed a RWC...

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    personally i wouldn't buy it back. save the headache and upgrade =D
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

I'm leaning towards this path.. However, considering I'm only a weekend driver, it wouldn't be much of an "upgrade" as I'm probably not willing to come out of pocket to purchase a replacement car, so $7,000 will be my budget..

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    could settle with a decent eg =D
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Forget about resale on writeoffs, the buyer would be looking at a bargain basement price if they were to buy it. The only reason for u to buy it back is if u plan on keeping it FOREVER, but I doubt u will. Take the money and buy another car, u might evenpick up something better and still have a few hundred spare for other toys

Member Array
    Car:
    EB2
    Save yourself the hassle and take the 7k payout.

Thanks all for the advice! More confident about my choice now!

Next step is to rip apart any sellable parts!

Type-R spoiler
    Type-R lip
    Black Racing Replica 15' x 7 (+42) with Falken Ziex 195/50 tyres‏

Quote Originally Posted by J3K View Post
    Thanks all for the advice! More confident about my choice now!

Next step is to rip apart any sellable parts!

Type-R spoiler
    Type-R lip
    Black Racing Replica 15' x 7 (+42) with Falken Ziex 195/50 tyres‏
    how much you want for the spoiler,lip and rims?

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    in qld mate, eks are selling for under 5 k with around 180k so id let insurance have it and pocket the 7k (u could even buy another ek in awsm condition)