Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD

'03 JAZZ 1.3 CVT problem still after trans fluid change

OK, my daughter-in-law had her Jazz's trans flushed. The workshop that did it haven't given any info on what they replaced the fluid with, except to say it was Honda fluid.
    \My suspicions are that, yes they used Honda fluid but only had the old ATF-Z{?} or previous recommended type fluid and not the new CV-TF. The shudder on take-off is still apparent. The car has only 41xxxkm on it and doesn't look like it's had a hard life with all services done when required by the PO.
    The problem was there when we tested the car last year at the dealer and they assured us they'd have it fixed. they didn't.
    Warranty runs out next month so I will be pushing the mechanic that did the fluid change recent;y and then also the dealer because I think I have done everything I can without changing the fluid myself to try to right this problem.
    I won't do the change because that would void the warranty as I don't have an 'A' class ticket.
    Last edited by cazz'shonda; 09-05-2010 at 10:01 AM.

If they are unable to fix it make sure you contact State Manager or something to get an assurance that any issues ongoing will be covered until the probelm / issue is resolved post-warranty. That isn't acceptable.

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 Euro Lux
    my friends jazz has the same problem, i looked through her logs and saw that the previous owner had same problem so they took to the dealer and the dealer replaced some valve i think.... but that fixed for a little bit but now it has started all over again... not sure this helps

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Quote Originally Posted by ricerockets View Post
    my friends jazz has the same problem, i looked through her logs and saw that the previous owner had same problem so they took to the dealer and the dealer replaced some valve i think.... but that fixed for a little bit but now it has started all over again... not sure this helps
    Thanks Ricerocket, that sounds like the EGR which I am also getting her to have checked.

i take it your jazz has probably done 100k+ km's on it. honda service interval for cvt transmission change is at 100k. usually when its changed its often black and very sludgy... this is because of the cvt belt wear and tear and the oil being burnt. as the sludge is drained and removed the cvt clutch system, it will be more 'slippery' ( since all the sludge was drained out). being more slippery, makes it much harder for transmission to suddenly cope with it... hence why you got the problems your mentioning now

not really much you can do about it if its playing up now after being drained... you'll more or less continue to have the problem. best off to either pay ~$1k to fix it up and rebuild it or get another car.

* i had an 07 with 45k on it... cvt transmission fluid was black and it was sludgy. now imagine what 100k of driving will do....

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Quote Originally Posted by hoey888 View Post
    i take it your jazz has probably done 100k+ km's on it. honda service interval for cvt transmission change is at 100k. usually when its changed its often black and very sludgy... this is because of the cvt belt wear and tear and the oil being burnt. as the sludge is drained and removed the cvt clutch system, it will be more 'slippery' ( since all the sludge was drained out). being more slippery, makes it much harder for transmission to suddenly cope with it... hence why you got the problems your mentioning now

not really much you can do about it if its playing up now after being drained... you'll more or less continue to have the problem. best off to either pay ~$1k to fix it up and rebuild it or get another car.

* i had an 07 with 45k on it... cvt transmission fluid was black and it was sludgy. now imagine what 100k of driving will do....
    Hey hoey, the car has only 41000km on it actually.(it's up top but typed as 41xxxkm, sorry).
    Been around cars all my life and always thought there was something wrong with it, even the day we test drove it, as mentioned. I should have listened to my intuition. I never thought there'd be a problem witha Honda, given people say they are great cars.
    The place my daughter in laws family took the car to did the fluid change but nobody will tell me what fluid went back into it. I am guessing they used whatever they had lying around, which Caroline tells me they were told was Honda stuff because he has done other Jazz fluid changes.
    C's home from work today so i will try and get the info from the mechanic as to what he used in the transmission.
    The dealer we bought it from will if I can force the issue be the ones forking out for the repairs if they are required because they told us they fixed the shudder originally before it was purchased.

I would make contact with state manager now --- no point mucking around with the dealership. Nearly always end up having to take a complaint further anyhow. Surely they couldnt have designed the gearbox so poorly that itd require a reuibld after 100'000 kms!?

Member Array
    Car:
    09 VTIS, Lotus.
    Guranteed that nearly all stuffed CVT's are due to dodgy mechanics using whatever ATF they can find in them. A shame really, as they are a damn clever gearbox. Mine has nearly 70K km's all good. I change my CVT fluid at 30K intervals with Honda CVT fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cazz'shonda View Post
    Hey hoey, the car has only 41000km on it actually.(it's up top but typed as 41xxxkm, sorry).
    The dealer we bought it from will if I can force the issue be the ones forking out for the repairs if they are required because they told us they fixed the shudder originally before it was purchased.
    sounds like your one mind have been the first batch. might be worth going to the dealer to see if the previous owner ever had the cvt issue fixed. i do remember honda australia recalling some jazz due to cvt problems. if it hasn't been done get it done

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the mechanic charge you to drain the the CVT fluid change? from memory honda retail the cvt fluid alone for about $80-90 for 5L... my mechanic used the full 5L to drain and top it up...
    steve

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD
    Quote Originally Posted by hoey888 View Post
    sounds like your one mind have been the first batch. might be worth going to the dealer to see if the previous owner ever had the cvt issue fixed. i do remember honda australia recalling some jazz due to cvt problems. if it hasn't been done get it done

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the mechanic charge you to drain the the CVT fluid change? from memory honda retail the cvt fluid alone for about $80-90 for 5L... my mechanic used the full 5L to drain and top it up...
    steve
    Hoey, the change in question was about $100 worth of fluid. Right price but for a workshop who should have the correct equipment, they IMO needed to do a full change/flush, using the full 7L or something.
    Car is off to Honda on Thurs' for a full check. I'll mention to her for them to find out whether the PO did have the car looked at. My opinion after all this is the b*tch who had it before traded it after it got rumbly as she couldn't afford to fix it and the dealer b'sed their way through and sold it on. RACQ need to be alerted to this 'fault' so when their mechanics do the pre-purchase inspection they go back to the seller/dealer and make them fix it before they sell it.
    Last edited by cazz'shonda; 12-05-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz GD

Thumbs up Update........

Jazz has been taken to Honda by daughter-in-law's family and has been given a total flush this time, not just drain and fill. If this doesn't fix the problem I am told the transmission will be replaced free of charge as according to them it was a known problem and they are required to repair it. Good news for other Jazz owners then for it seems Honda are willing to rectify this problem, even ina 2003 model vehicle well out of warranty.

.... And that is why you buy a Honda and not a Holden -- Glad they are coming good on the issue!