Thread: Storage advice

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000

Storage advice

Hi,

as some of u may be aware i was selling my car but nowchanged my mind coz I didn't want 18 year olds owning it. Anyway, with busy work and stuff, i dont have time anymore for it. I'll make a come back next year in Jan when i get back from overseas.

Any advice on how to prepare for long term storage without starting the car? currently it's in a lock up garage, i got it up on 4 jack stands and took battery out. Just wondering, if i have the 4 stands, would the wheels' weight damage my coilovers or any components in anyway while it's hanging on??

What about petrol / oil/ diff oil and tranny oil? My engine oil is currently Castrol Edge full synthetic - I'm guessing this won't break down for a long time?

My diff/ tran are oem oils and quite recently changed.

Cheers

S2Krazy Array
    When I lost my license for 6 or for 12 months I forget, I just started the car every weekend to keep the fluids active and moving around for about 10 minutes.

Anyone you know well enough you cna trust to do this task once a week or fortnight? Saves draining fluids and what not when you get back.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Theres usually a checklist on the owners manual if your gonna keep it stored for 6--12months
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    01 S2000

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda
    The advice on hondaone.com.au was helpful for me when i had to leave mine unattended for a while

Q. I'm going on holiday for a long period of time. How should I store my Honda?
    If you need to store your car for extended periods (more than 1 month), there are some steps you should take to prevent deterioration and ensure trouble-free running when you return.
    If possible, store your car garaged or under cover
    Wash and dry the exterior
    Fill the fuel tank
    Clean the interior
    Put the transmission into Reverse (manual) or Park (automatic)
    Leave the handbrake off
    Block the rear wheels
    Block the exhaust pipe with a rag
    Leave one window open slightly (if indoors)
    Put a rag or towel between the front and rear wipers and the glass
    Disconnect the battery (remove the negative terminal first)
    Cover the car with a "breathable" cover made from a porous material such as cotton.
    Plastic sheeting can trap moisture, damaging the paintwork.
    If possible, run the engine for a short time once a month.

If storing your car for longer than 12 months, have your Honda Dealer perform an inspection as soon as you take it out of storage.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    engine oil should be changed every 6 months, i dont know for sure but i recon it might change depending in the viscosity of the oil but i dont know for sure.

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by biggame View Post
    Leave one window open slightly (if indoors)
    If you do that, you might get spiders or bugs climbing in and nesting in your car. might get some nasty surprises when you come back.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Thanks for input guys.

But no one commented on putting up on 4 stands, it's safe for suspension and other components while the wheels are still on?

I don't trust anyone touching my car so it's out of the option to get someone to start her up every month unless i put some sort of wheellock. Perhaps also a GSM-Alarm with remote start/stop via calling/sms like BMWs/ Ferraris. Lol

I think having full synthetic oil should be ok as they dont break down like mineral oil. But i may drain the diff and tranny - good idea?? I will fill up the tank as advised above.

Cheers guys

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    why don't you just leave the car on its wheels? after all, if you were here to drive it, it'd be on all 4 wheels anyway. otherwise, put the car on stands but take the wheels off. that way there will be less unsprung weight on the suspension.

draining diff/tranny oils... might lead to rust?

just do a FULL fluid flush including oil, diff, tranny, brakes, coolant, aircon, fuel pump/lines, when you get back.

Member Array
    Car:
    01 S2000
    I would detach the calipers (leave it connected to the brake line), wedge something in between the pads and hang them up on the a-arm.

Take all brake rotors off and give a light coating of WD40 and store somewhere. Remember to brake clean them when you get back.

Unbolt the wheels, inflate them to like 40 psi or something and store them on phone books placed in the centre of the wheel so the tyres don't touch anything. If you leave it standing on the wheels the tyres may flat spot from deflation (unlikely but you never know...).

Leaving it jacked up shouldn't do any damage.

Remember to drain the fuel when you get back as the fuel will be off....good luck finding somewhere to dump 50 odd litres though....

I wouldn't drain the oils. I would do one last oil change front to back and full brake and clutch bleed.

I'd use a good silicone spray on all the rubbers underneath the car.

I would spray silicone on a rag and wipe down some of the rubbers around the door/windows.

Wash and wax the paint, leather condition the interior, close the air vents, take the floor mats out, take the spare out.

I would put the car on a trickle charger, especially since my alarm does not like it when the battery is removed. I'd get a family member to turn it on every 2 weeks or so. If not be prepared to buy a new battery once your back.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Ok thanks guys. Took one wheel off while on 4 stands, it didn't change the suspension level, so i'll just keep the wheels on. Have no where to put, I've put the car in one of those rent-a-garage place where it is secured and insured with contents inside.

Yeah i was told to put on 4 stands coz the tyres can deform over a long period of time holding the cars weight plus air will leak somehow.

My brakes should be ok, no rusts whatsoever, it hasn't seen rain or water for more than 12 months now.