Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR

Knocking sound in the gearbox when idle?

This knocking sound has only started recently, thing is, you can only hear it when the car is idle. When i push in the clutch there is no sound. Its not very loud, but it does concern me because the last time i heard something like that, it was my crankshaft that blew off directly into the engine. But i know its the gearbox this time, just wanted your opinion, could it be the tranny? I have a 95' EG hatch, new d16 FEO engine from a 2000 ek Gl efi.
    Last edited by SajadEG; 11-05-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    its the throw out bearing having same problem..but then again my D series is 190xxx old with original parts so yep was expected..... yo k16??
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    Quote Originally Posted by xclusive_eg8 View Post
    its the throw out bearing having same problem..but then again my D series is 190xxx old with original parts so yep was expected..... yo k16??
    Is it a serious problem, does it need urgent attention? sorry meant D16 :O i think i was just caught up in the whole k20 biziness

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    well iv done approx 5000km since noise started and its been fine so far, and my car aint driven lightly...but hey Im not sure lol..

Just cant be bothered getting new clutch when a new GB is only $200 for d series
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    Yeh i had the bearing replaced by my Mech but the sound is still there, its kinda louder now, but gear changing is alot easier . I think i might hit up a new gear box, all up he said it should cost about 600 hundy so might aswell do it

If the car is in neutral, and your foot is off of the clutch, does it still make the noise?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Sure it's not the thrust bearing? Probably not so much of a knocking sound as more than a light, rough, grinding sound...but that sounds like it suits the 'timing' of the problem...