Thread: Header Wrap

Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Header Wrap

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To wrap ya headers in header wrap

Required:

* 15 metres of 2" wide header wrap for a standard sized 4-2-1 header like mine,more if bigger.I used 'thermal wrap',it's the best stuff.I bought 20m becuse I will wrap my cat soon,cost = $62 from 'QLD diesel spares'.

Note: If your headers have lots of bends U may need to use 1" wide wrapping.

* Stainless steel hose clamps.U can work out how many from this DIY.Bought from the same place $60 for lots of great quality Stainless Steel clamps!

* The usual tools to remove the headers.

* A blade to cut the wrap.

* Gasket goo and gaskets are optional,if U think U need them then get them.I didn't.I re-used the old gaskets with 'blue silicone',it's the same as gasket goo but much better,$20 a tube.There is another product that is copper and is better again but it's more expensive.

* Patience,for a good result.

Steps:

Put the car on jack stands and remove the header,just the bolts at the top there and the 2 underneath.Slide the headers out from under the car.Make sure U dissconnect or remove the 02 sensor first,be careful not to knock it if its still in there.

U can wrap ya headers while they are on the car but there is no way U can do a good a job as when they are off! The way to do it would be to kneel in front of the car,arms in at the headers.And obviously lay under the car for the 2-1 piping part.

Removing the headers is actually very easy to do.

Best to use a vice to hold them,while U wrap.If U dont have one,look to securing it somehow,it will make it far easier.

First,fill a bucket of water and dunk ya header wrapping in there,this will all but eliminate those tiny fibreglass fibres from entering your breathing system and will make the wrapping much easier.Make sure U use gloves for this reason too,even a long sleeved shirt if ya keen.

Always start where the exhaust gases enter/start and work down/away from the engine.

The trick is U need to cut of strips of the wrap but how much? Basically I just felt it out and it worked out perfectly.I was using 60 - 90" lengths.

First,wrap it around 1 1/2 times and fix a clamp there.

Good even wrapping,keep it tight,the recommendations is 1/4" overlap.Just keep it even,that's all that really matters.Mine ended up more than 1/4" overlap and it's awesome I feel.

Tight tight tight!!

1 done! U can see I wrapped right over the old 02 sensor bung hole location.If your 02 sensor is here,it's only reading 1 cylinder.

Lets go!

Every header will be different,this is how the 2nd pipe finished up,lets just leave that for now as we should be able to hose clamp that one with another one,the way the design is there.

Done!

Dont bunch it all up at the bottom,U still want it nice and evenly spread so no 'hot spots' appear.This can cause cracking in ya header.

Starting to warm up! Need some shade

OK,next piece!

I wrapped one side then I wrap the other + the collector.2 pieces all up.U can wrap the collector seperately as a 3rd piece with 1/4" overlap if U wish.

Clamps are where needed to hold it tight as!!

I cut a hole where the 02 sensor is

Here's the silicone blue gear,it needs 24 hours to cure.

Last edited by beeza; 24-08-2011 at 04:48 PM.