Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Header Wrap

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R JDM
    the only reason i wouldnt do it is because of my mates experiences. heat wrap encourages rust. and ive seen the same thing as that ^^^ as well. looks good thugh and it serves its purpose. but i dont have the money to replace headers :P.

alex

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by hitoriko View Post
    You should mention taht if you wet the wrap before using it you can get a tighter seal on the manifold and this will make it easier to wrap - i was going to do a write up like this bu you beat me to it!
    Done that.

I'll see how mine goes crazy,thanks mate!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    the trick is to clean your headers and spray them with Heat proof paint before wrapping them.
    that stops them from rusting.

I usually paint at least 3 coats. Letting it dry between coats (or i cheat and use a blowtorch to speed things up)

Then wet them very damp to stop them from breaking when wrapping. Pull hard on them to get a nice even coverage.

Afterwards i normally start the car to dry up the water.
    I've done this on 3-4 sets no issues. Longest lasting one was 4 yrs old.
    Last edited by Limbo; 26-06-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Civic, 1987 XF
    No, there is no splash tray under there. Why do you ask?

I like the sound of the heatproof paint idea! But i think it would take some pretty extreme paint to take the temps that it would get too under the wrap.
    Its quite possible that had i had my timing issue sorted out then there would not have been enough heat there to cause it. However, reflecting on it and knowing what i know now, I would never fit this stuff to a NA car. And would only fit to a turbo if the primarys were going to be long and i was too cheap to invest in ceramic/glaze coating.
    Brumm BRUUUMMMMM!.... WAARRRRTT! Tsseewwww! OMNOMNMON

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5
    i'v'e had my headers heat wrapped. been to track and back nothing wrong with them. keeps temperature down dramatically in the engine bay. i dont see how they can cause a problem. even when your hitting the rev limiter after every corner around the track they held up well. nevertheless good writeup. try soaking the wrap in water first makes it easier to wrap around the headers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Want A Jazz
    Limbo - thatas the best to do, hitemp heatproof paint, then do the wrap then let dray THEN silicon spray them because this also keeps the water out

Quote Originally Posted by crazy2287 View Post
    No, there is no splash tray under there. Why do you ask?.
    forget it

everytime i read these replies it makes me want to go outside and finish my set! but its FREEZING outside so i have to wait, worst thing is its halfway done just ahve to wrap 2 more pipes and im done!
    . h i t o r i k o .

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i wrapped mine on a hoist, it was a B#$(*@ to get on
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Damn Limbo..

So glad I took mine off!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    Excellent DIY, rep point is on its way.

I can't see why there would be more performance. Can u explain this? Sounds like a placebo effect (I am a performance pessimist, and Hondas are notorious for giving low gains for mods). The benefits I can understand are less heat, therefore less chance of cracking at high temps... header protection and a different exhaust note.

Update: they won't let me rep u as I have repped u too recently
    The wrap keeps the headers hot! The hotter the exhaust gas, the quicker it will flow.

I wrapped my pit bike exhaust in it (I always burnt my leg on it) and then went for a 3 hour thrash with some mates, when i took the wrap off, the exhaust was a purple/blue colour all the way back to the muffler Before I wrapped it, there was only about 10-15cm of purple/blue
    Last edited by nickk; 22-07-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Civic, 1987 XF
    as the air becomes cool and slows down it will become turbulent and cause lower exhaust velocities and higher pressures. wrapping your zorst to keep in the heat on an NA car has little effect (though it dose have some)
    turbos feed off the heat energy in the exhaust gases. so the difference is more noticeable in turbo cars, especially if it has long primary's before the turbine. after the turbine the exhaust gas pressure will reduce rapidly and causes the exhaust gas to cool. this is why large diameter free flowing exhausts are good after the turbo.

could be wrong, been a while since i did thermodynamics. i remember something about gases been thicker, due to the increased collisions of the gas molecules, at higher temperatures. but as long as the gas flow remains laminar there is no problems, thus the reason we try to keep velocity up. once the air becomes turbulent pressures increases dramatically. Ie after the turbine, so rather then trying to restore the laminar flow of the gases, we try to vent to air asap. this is why the turbo will ideally have nothing but a horn on the turbine exit. But i digress XD
    Last edited by crazy2287; 23-07-2010 at 12:24 AM.

That header on the falcon is mild steel is it not ? If it was stainless steel you shouldnt have any worries on it rusting away as stainless doesnt rust.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1987 Civic, 1987 XF
    stainless dose corrode. it is just a lot more resilient.
    Not sure of the grade of material in the pacemaker extractors. but definitely some kind of steel.