Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R

DIY: DC5 Coin Pocket Repair

HOW TO REPAIR DC5 COIN POCKET!

This looks to be a common problem with the DC5! The 'lugs' that the pocket pivots on dislodge and the pocket won't shut properly or falls out completely.

Here's a simple DIY showing how to refit the pocket and repair it for good!

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coin Pocket (repaired):

Reference:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tools and Materials Required:
    - Worklight or Torch.
    - Philips Head Screwdriver(s).
    - Superglue.

If the lugs are missing you'll also need:
    - 2x Small bolts/screws with a Counter-sunk head... Like these:

Note: The bolts should be only 3-4mm in diameter and the 'thread' pitch should be 'fine' so that it doesn't bite into the pocket itself. The pocket may be hard to open/close your bolts are too thick. The bolts are simply used in place of the missing lugs - not used to actually 'bite' into the plastic.
    Instructions:

Step 1: Remove trims!

Remove the under steering column trim by turning the 2x retaining clips 1/4 turn counter-clockwise then pull outwards (from the bottom) and then downwards. Set trim aside so it doesn't get damaged.
    ----------

Turn the retaining clip 1/4 turn and remove under-dash trim. Pull trim downwards at end nearest to the drivers door, then set aside.
    Step 2: Remove coin pocket!

Stick your head under the dash and you'll see the 4x screws securing the pocket assembly.

I find it easier to lay the seat back, then lie down on the seat (up-side-down).

Remove all 4x screws, then remove the coin pocket assembly.

Tip: You can remove the 2x right side screws and just simply 'back-off' the left side ones and the pocket will slide out to the side - making life a bit easier when re-installing.
    Step 3: Re-assemble the coin pocket!

Place the pocket into the pocket housing and align the lug holes.

If you have the lugs - glue them into the holes, like so:

Note: Only glue one end of the lugs into place. Either glue the lug to the housing or glue it to the pocket itself - the pocket needs to be able to rotate in the housing, so if you glue both ends of the lug it will render the pocket useless!

I found it easier to align the pocket in the housing then just 'dab' the superglue onto the outer end of the lug, then insert it into position.

Alloy some time for the glue to dry.
    ----------
    If you don't have the lugs: Put some superglue on the tapered area of the bolt heads and then push them into the holes until they sit flush with the housing. If they're too long - file/grind some of the length off.

Alloy some time for the glue to dry.
    Step 4: Re-install the coin pocket spring!

First place the spring into the slots on either side:

Then press the middle of the spring upwards and into the holster:

Test that it works!
    Step 5: Re-install coin pocket assembly!

Screw the coin pocket assembly back into place re-using the 4x screws.
    ----------
    Re-install under-dash trim, making sure to fit the backing of the trim into the guide on the firewall, as shown:

...and take care with the clip nearest to the door (push up). Then refit the retaining clip by pushing up and spinning 1/4 turn - until secure.
    ----------
    Re-install the under steering column trim by first placing the upper locating tabs in place, as shown:

...then fitting the retaining clips by spinning 1/4 turn - until secure.

Stand back, admire your handy-work and pat yourself on the back. You've just saved yourself $100!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by omgzilla; 21-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    dc4
    you just reminded me bout this. thanks for the writeup
    me so orny

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    I thought more people would've been jumping on this DIY! I guess people on here aren't having the issue as much as the guys on ClubRSX... or OzHonda guys have managed to fix it themselves - without the tutorial.
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    don't worry yo i enjoyed it, honda ftw.
    nice detail on all your pics yo, you are a photoshop whore woo, see you at work

ps check my thing its not as diy oriented as yours sadly cus that would take forever.

mike.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    i wish i had a coin pocket... i can only use my cigrete tray as one in my dc2 :/
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    tbh, tis not really that good of a coin pocket.. i mean ocins be rattling all over the place, and once it gets full, i guess it'll drop open n coins everywhere yeah? .. i jsut stash notes in there!

Member Array
    Car:
    E92 M3
    pretty sure i saw this DIY on ClubRSX.com

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    tbh, tis not really that good of a coin pocket.. i mean ocins be rattling all over the place, and once it gets full, i guess it'll drop open n coins everywhere yeah? .. i jsut stash notes in there!
    I've never put coins in there either. It just holds my garage door remote

Quote Originally Posted by burak213 View Post
    pretty sure i saw this DIY on ClubRSX.com
    That'd be because I posted it on there aswell.
    FN2R

i know im digging up an old thread but the coin holder on my accord euro just doesnt wanna close.
    anyone can show me how to fix it?

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Not sure on the Accords, but try removing it and taking a good look. Think about it - it can't be that hard.
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    Your mate
    oOO very nice! my coin holder's abit wonky even though i don't use it.

Will try give it a go