Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T

DC5R - grind on cold starts

Ive had this issue since I bought the car and has never really been a problem.

Seems to be happening more as the weather cools down.. when i start the car cold, i occasionally get a grinding noise for about 1 second.. its a bit hard to explain and cant have the mechanic check it out coz it only happens when cold

ill have to record it so you guys can hear it but if anyone has any idea it would be much appreciated !
    FFR33K - SOLD
    LSV73C - SOLD
    CW DC5R - SOLD

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Hmmm I think this happened to mine once when I started it up..but hasn't happened since.... Maybe starter motor? :S
    Blue DC5R

├┼┼┐ DC5R
    246R

hahaha someone with the same problem as me!!!
    Well... your starter motor is on its way out... The ring has chewed one of its teeth so it will cause a loud CRUNCH sound when you start (will not always happen)
    Btw... When this happens... your flywheel will be suffering as when your starter motor turns, its turn against the flywheel so basically by the time your starter breaks down your flywheel will be gone to... sadly to say...

Im waiting for mine to break as mines under warranty so yeah... (its getting really close as it's starting to get more frequent and more violent sadly

Hope that helps mate

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    not sure if its the same issue,

but i get the grind sound when i forget the release the key in time on engine start.. lol
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    Audi TT 2.0T
    lol yeh it sounds like Im not releasing the key but i definitely am !!

Thanks WATAJK.. if what you're saying is true (sounds right) then i guess its a good excuse to upgrade my flywheel =D
    clutch is going too so its good timing !!
    FFR33K - SOLD
    LSV73C - SOLD
    CW DC5R - SOLD

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    leave it at a mechanics over night?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

I can tell u it is 100%...
    yeah thats what i said aswell lol...
    Just waiting for mine to give way haha

Member Array
    Car:
    MY11 GTI, DA9
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    hahaha someone with the same problem as me!!!
    Well... your starter motor is on its way out... The ring has chewed one of its teeth so it will cause a loud CRUNCH sound when you start (will not always happen)
    Btw... When this happens... your flywheel will be suffering as when your starter motor turns, its turn against the flywheel so basically by the time your starter breaks down your flywheel will be gone to... sadly to say...

Im waiting for mine to break as mines under warranty so yeah... (its getting really close as it's starting to get more frequent and more violent sadly

Hope that helps mate
    so its the flywheel getting damaged or the ring gear in starter motor...? I know Toda has a stronger replacement ring gear available...
    Leighton T. aka LTPICS MSN=DEMON83_INC@HOTMAIL.COM
    '80 Accord 3D Hatch>'02 VW Golf S>'00 EM1 B18cR>'09 SYM Red Devil + '04 DC5R

for sale= http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127617

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON83 View Post
    so its the flywheel getting damaged or the ring gear in starter motor...? I know Toda has a stronger replacement ring gear available...
    Okay...
    lemme explain
    When you start your car.. your starter motor has a ring which turns when your turn the key right. It turns against your flywheel so basically they turn against each other...
    Generally when it makes this CRUNCH noise it is your starter motor (Honda faulted mine lol)...
    Anyway the longer you let this problem go on as the ring in the starter motor has chewed a tooth... the more damage it will cause as it will damage your flywheel EVERYTIME you start your car...
    Kinda bullshit but then again if your after a good time to change your clutch and flywheel now would be the time

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    So if you change your flywheel it'll fix it? Because no point changing it if it's still going to grind and wreck your new one.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    he would have to change the starter motor and the flywheel depending on how damaged the flywheel is

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    this could also mean its losing oil pressure on start up...i had this problem back when i had the standard k20 bottom end and toda cams/supertech valve train...i reckon just to be sure take it to a mechanic, leave it over night and get them to connect an oil pressure guage before they start it in the morning...this should tell u if thats the problem...if not then its probably your starter motor as other have mentioned
    183.2KW ATW
    BUILT BY DR
    Tuned by INSIGHT MOTORSPORT

12.44@109.9mph