Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    lets put it this way why did they make a sohc vtec even at all? to make it to the grocery shop a bit faster

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    spend time making it handle better:

first is there any kind of leaks on this engine or low compression/signs of head gasket failure, if not I'd at the very least consider doing the following:

get some suspension with good adjustment variations (konis with decent springs or a set of coilovers)
    rear sway bar (asr brace, dc2r rear sway kit, lcas)
    upgrade the brakes (if it has rear drums change over to discs and get some slotted rotors up front with some nice street or oem pads)
    change the bushings that are old and deteriorated (changing the rear trailing arm bushings will make a nice difference)
    put in a sportier clutch and flywheel
    get some nice 15's and some single dirtectional street tyres
    dc2r steering wheel
    a nice drivers seat with some form of side bolsters

in a nutshell spending on both can be a bad idea, I'd much rather a car that can pull up and handle bends than one with power alone
    Last edited by EK1.6LCIV; 27-05-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

end of the day, dont touch the sohc, and dont even bother with a b16a conversion LOL unless ur trying to make a replica eg6, otherwise a b16a2 is pretty shit conversion for a power increase.

MY 2c
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic, ITR, S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by hisoka View Post
    a boosted B series isnt that slow. if you want to be like that.

stop giving him hope with it.

do handling mods so your car will be a rapist when it finally gets its b series.
    I never said boosted B series is slow either. Boosted B is super quick! I don't want to sound all big. I am no mechanic nor am i an engineer but I've been through many vtec motors and that when you boost a D Series, you have reliability and power together. If you're on a tighter budget a boosted D is a better option. Think of the cost, how much will a B16 cost to buy? How much will it cost for the conversion including installing? At the end of the day, like i say if you want to go NA then go B series but if you feel it's not worth the hassle then stay with the D and boost it. D can be boosted without requiring any internal work anyway.

Funnily, i use to sneeze at D series. I have a JDM 98 spec ITR with mild tune pulling high 13s and also an 01 S2K. The funny thing is my close friend's D15 Turbo keeps up with me on the straight once his turbo is done. Specs are basic. Home made exhaust manifold with T3/T4 turbo, Hondata ECU, Evolution injectors, exhaust etc. His car runs consistent 14.0 on street tires on drags. With semi slicks, he's as quick ITR.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic, ITR, S2K
    To add, like everyone says here, do handling. Nearly everything of an ITR will go into your car and that's a good start to make your car handle better. Op for 98 spec parts as honda has revised the suspension setup to handle better. If you want to do a B series conversion then go buy yourself a B18C block and a B16A head. Drop in some B16B pistons and get ready to kick ass. Don't just drop in a B16A

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by firepower View Post
    I never said boosted B series is slow either. Boosted B is super quick! I don't want to sound all big. I am no mechanic nor am i an engineer but I've been through many vtec motors and that when you boost a D Series, you have reliability and power together. If you're on a tighter budget a boosted D is a better option. Think of the cost, how much will a B16 cost to buy? How much will it cost for the conversion including installing? At the end of the day, like i say if you want to go NA then go B series but if you feel it's not worth the hassle then stay with the D and boost it. D can be boosted without requiring any internal work anyway.

Funnily, i use to sneeze at D series. I have a JDM 98 spec ITR with mild tune pulling high 13s and also an 01 S2K. The funny thing is my close friend's D15 Turbo keeps up with me on the straight once his turbo is done. Specs are basic. Home made exhaust manifold with T3/T4 turbo, Hondata ECU, Evolution injectors, exhaust etc. His car runs consistent 14.0 on street tires on drags. With semi slicks, he's as quick ITR.

Good point! And also, if you turbo your D you can get yourself some Suzuki Vitara pistons and a Vitara Kit = pawnage.