Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!

how to install springs into civic for people who keep asking

Disclaimer: The following are provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself. nor the original writer, nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

things you may need :
    a vehicle
    time : 25 minutes in and out.
    a basic tool box :

9"16, 11"16, 3"4 sockets, 11"16 spanner.
    coil spring compressor, can be picked up for 30 bucks,

left loose right tight, some japanese cars have reversed thread
    whoever says you don't need spring compressors for standard springs etc, are full of shit, only time you don't need one is when your springs are ****ed and sagged, or chopped springs.

FOR THE FRONT

1. open bonnet.

2. jack up vehicle, with trolley jack, scissor jack, hoist.

3. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet, undo the two 9"16 nuts,

4. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet, undo your 3/4 wheel nuts, after un doing the
    nuts, remove your wheel, if wheel is hard to remove kick the top of the tyre, should pop off.

5. you should have something looking like this

6. undo 9"16 bolt from the fork, with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet

7. undo 11'16 bolt and nut from the lower control arm, with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet, you will also require a spanner to hold onto the nut.

8. with a little strength twist and seperate the fork and strut, and should have something looking like this, leave the fork in there, doesn't need to go anywhere.

9. slide the strut out from the bottom.

10. slap the spring compressors on, making sure it grips on well enough, use 3/4 socket and rattle gun, do them up evenly and slowly, if your noob don't even attempt doing it this way, just use a ratchet and go slow.

11. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet and 9"16 socket undo the top nut, top hat will remove with a little man power,

12. undo spring compressors slowly, do it in reverse to insert your new or 2nd hand springs on.

13. slide strut back up and start the two 9"16 nuts in engine bay finger tight, make sure you line that groove pictured below, evenly where the 9"16 bolt goes through the fork and strut, finger tight that bolt, also the fork connecting to lower control arm start bolt and nut.
    [IMG]
    14. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet with socket, do up the two 9"16 nuts in engine tight. do up the fork holding the strut with 9"16, and bottom lower control arms, with 11"16 spanner and socket

REPEAT STEPS FOR THE OTHER SIDE, IT'S THE SAME NO SUPRISES NO TRICKS

FOR THE REAR.

1. open boot

2. remove parcel tray, remove speaker grills, screws will be holding it, lift up speaker covers and should slide off from trim. you should have something looking like this

3. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet, with a few extensions alongside with 9"16 socket, poke it through down the speaker cover and remove the nuts.

4. remove wheel.

5. undo lower control arm bolt (9"16 socket ), connecting to subframe,
    undo strut connecting from lower control arm ( 9"16 socket ).
    give lower control arm a little tap or pull on it, so you have something looking like this

6. slide strut out

7. slap the spring compressors on, making sure it grips on well enough, use 3/4 socket and rattle them up, do them up evenly and slowly and you should see the springs compress if your noob don't even attempt doing it this way, just use a ratchet and go slow.

8. with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet and 9"16 socket undo the top nut, top hat will remove with a little man power,

9. slap the spring compressors on, making sure it grips on well enough, use 3/4 socket and rattle them up, do them up evenly and slowly and you should see the springs compress if your noob don't even attempt doing it this way, just use a ratchet and go slow.

10. put springs back in put top hat on and tighten with ( 9"16 socket )

11. slide strut back up,
    do up top 2 9"16 nut finger tight,

12. go under line up lower control arm, start that bolt and also line up strut to lower control arm,
    with a 1/2 inch, 3/8 drive, rattle gun or ratchet, once everything line rattle it all up
    ( including step 11)

13. put wheel back on tighten up wheel nuts, or torque it up whatever makes you happy

REPEAT STEPS FOR THE OTHER SIDE, IT'S THE SAME NO SUPRISES NO TRICKS

dont ask me why i use imperial i work on a fair bit of american trucks and engines, and transmissions,
    save yourself some money and buy spring compressors for 30 odd bucks
    do a few cashies at home for 100-150 a job,
    its easy takes 25 minutes
    Last edited by na-118; 01-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    that great jobs dude,
    where do you get your spring compressors for $30??

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    great write up!
    although, without experience and a rattle gun i think this would easily take over an hour. it did for me anyway :s

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    supercheap auto or whatever you guys use, i just get it from a tool van that comes to work
    without experience will take an hour even without a rattle gun
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    is there supposed to be two spring perches above the spring on those sleeves?

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    should be under, i was putting standard springs in, only threw that back on cause i decided to do a diy on it