Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi guys, this is my first DIY on this forum and Im pretty sure this alternative hasn't been covered before so I though I'd post it up and try to get some PQ points in the process. Please do give me some points if you find this helpful.

Having to hold the cup between my legs every time I get some drive-thru maccas really pisses me off, and its also not very fun when changing gears while trying to balance the cup. So after trying out several other cupholder ideas on the web that did not require me to fork out 50-100 bucks for an OEM cupholder centre console, I found this is to be a more sustainable alternative. This is nothing flashy or OEM but it does the job of holding your maccas or HJ drink in place, its real easy, real cheap, and you don't have to drill any holes in your interior (just cut the cable ties off if its not working for you).

Aim: A cheap and simple cupholder alternative for the civic
Required:
1x Similar type of cupholder as in the pics
6x Cable ties
Wood/plastic cutting soldering kit

Steps:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399..jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	14552
This is the finished product on the car. It is attached to the little rubbish flap behind the handbrake lever. The bottom bar that protracts from the bottom is actually what makes the whole thing really stable. The cupholder came attached to the middle air-con flaps when I bought the car (I'm pretty sure its the ones you can buy at K-Mart) and I removed it right away cause that didn't really seem like a very strong mounting point. I'd assume it would also cause a big mess if my drink were to fall from that height.

Name:	IMG_0397..jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	14549
This is how it looks when you take the rubbish flap out.
1. Break off the clip that attaches the cupholder to the air con vents.
2. Use the soldering kit to make two little holes at the two arrows in the picture so that you can pass a cable tie through them.
Note: The holes are made to the CUPHOLDER, NOT ON THE OEM RUBBISH FLAP.

Name:	IMG_0396..jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	14554
3. Pass the cable ties through the wire at the bottom of the pocket (as shown with the arrows)
4. Link the pocket and the cupholder firmly with cable ties.
5. Attach the pocket back on the car.
6. DONE.

Name:	IMG_0398..jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	14553
With the flap closed

Name:	IMG_0400..jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	14550
With drink

Name:	IMG_0401..jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	14551
With bottle

Other comments:
All up cost me close to nothing as the cupholder was already in the car when I bought it, found the soldering kit in storage (Might be able to use a small penknife too I guess), and I have cable ties in abundance (its a DIY-ers best friend). Have been using this for a few weeks now and it has not spilt on me yet. Will probably continue using this until I can snap up a decent priced OEM cupholder from the wreckers.

Cheers!