Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

dc2 Thermostat changed now over heating.

So this morning i just changed the thermostat on the dc2 due to the car taking ages to warm up and on freeways it would go back to cold.

So i changed the thermostat now the car is over heating !

First of all i flushed the coolant
    Removed the thermostat
    Flushed the system with some coolant flush
    Refilled everything up
    Let the car idle for few min with the bleed valve open so bubbles can come out.
    Went for a drive and the car over heats and spits water out to the over flow.

Do i leave the engine idle with the radiator cap on and leave it to bleed till i get a steady stream?
    would turning on the heater help?
    Reving it?

such a headache.

Also the fan seems to never switch on =(

Update:
    Noticed no coolant is coming out of the bleed valve no more unless i rev the car....

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Leaving the engine to idle for a few minutes to bleed the air out is insufficient. When I did mine, it took over 30 minutes of idling! And the coolant temperature needs to get hot enough so that the thermostat opens to circulate the coolant around. You also need to set your aircon to full hot to get the coolant circulating through the heater core. When you are letting the air bleed out, the radiator cap MUST be only partially on. I left mine off while I let it idle.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    open the bleed valve and turn on the heater

Heater has air in it which is prob causing the problem
    Life starts at 6500rpm!! Rep good posts

30 min wow so long.
    I called up my mechanic and he told me not to even IDLE the car just fill up n bleed !

So i should leave the cap off or partially open and let it idle with the heater max and let it bleed out?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by seihoa View Post
    30 min wow so long.
    I called up my mechanic and he told me not to even IDLE the car just fill up n bleed !

So i should leave the cap off or partially open and let it idle with the heater max and let it bleed out?
    Yes, you need to let it idle until you the bubbles stop appearing at the radiator cap opening. You can also give the radiator hose a squeeze (while it is still cool-warm) to get the air out of there.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    u need to let the cart idel with heater on and radiator cap off untill the thermostat opens, and u usually let the thermos come on too, that way the water/cvoolant has bleed through the whole system and reached operating temps.....

and dont stress, it will take ages on idle..........but its the best way to do it...

ok so i left it to idle for ages but still the same issue !!!!
    over heats also i notice even when the car temp goes to 80% of the gauge the fan doesnt turn on? Could this be a reason why its over heating?

also noticed when i stop the car and let it idle the temp goes back down =/

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    can you notice any flow in the radiator?

you sure you installed everything as per instructions?
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

This morning i bridged the fan wires and drove it to the mechanic fine as it was cold start anyways.

Anyways, the mechanic pluged the fan switch back on n the fans turned on when on idle with the car reving ,but once i drove the car hard it overheated and the fans didnt switch on.
    Then we decided it could be a faulty fan switch so we bridged the fans to stay on and went for another run but the car overheated only when driving it hard on idle or cruise the temps went down.

Conclusion is that , fan switch is faulty most likely and the radiator is blocked ( prob due to me flushing the radiator and all the dirty coolant / rust blocked it).

fingers crossed its the radiator and not the water pump as well !

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Also take out that new thermostat and test using boiling water to see if it opens.