Member Array
    Car:
    EG3

Transmission oil for LSD gearbox questions

Hey guys.
    I have a JDM 96 ITR gearbox and always filled it with Honda MTF06 with no issues.
    Recently someone told me that because the JDM units have a different LSD i can't use the normal Honda MTF or the LSD wont work properly.
    On further research i think the LSD's are the same. Can someone confirm this?

In any case i checked the oil and its rated as GL-4, which usually shouldn't be used for LSDs. So i changed the oil to "Motul Gear FF LSD Type 2" (Rated GL-5 for LSDs) which is supposed to be specially designed for FF cars with transaxles and LSDs. I believe it is 75W-90

Now when i shift 1st to 2nd its there's more resistance and there's the odd crunch. 2nd to 3rd is a bit stiffer too with the odd crunch. Once the oil warms up shifting is fine and no different to using the Honda MTF.

My question is... Does this LSD gearbox actually need GL-5 rated oil or is the Honda MTF06 fine for the LSD to work properly?
    Note: i tracked the car with the Honda MTF and it seemed fine (no single spinners).

I'd rather not have to wait for the oil to warm up before it runs smoothly. I imagine there'd be more wear while its still cold, but possibly better protection when warm or at the track?

If it can be confirmed that Honda MTF is fine i'll be switching back at the next change.

Thanks for any help!~

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    oem is fine

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    If it is not an OEM LSD but a Mfactory or simmalar what would the best oil to use be? Still OEM?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If it is a geared type LSD like the one used in the Type R box (or in a Quaife or Torsen LSD), then use Honda MTF06. It is the correct viscosity for your gearbox at 75w80. That is the reason why you get resistance and crunch with the Motul transmission fluid. It is the wrong viscosity for your gearbox and is too thick at 75w90. Personally, I wouldn't even wait for the next change if I had a Honda ITR LSD in my gearbox. I'd switch back to Honda MTF06 as soon as I can.

You only need to use a special transmission fluid if your LSD is a clutch-type. For these, you select the transmission fluid based on the recommendation of the LSD manufacturer and pray that the fluid comes in 75w80 flavour.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    Thanks guys... much appreciated.