Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.

Colour Coding Your Car

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim:

Colour code the car YOUR SELF~

Just to show what a can of paint can do.

Required:

- Sand papers, range from 60 – 150
    - Plastic primer
    - Customized paint, colour to suit your car
    - Clear coat
    - Buffer & wax

Steps:

1. Give the lip a quick wash and wipe, make sure to get rid of all the dirts, let it dry before sanding.

2. Start sanding with 60 grits to get rid of the original paint. Work your way through to 150 to smooth it out.

* Those are the grits I used, but u can choose your own range pending on the condition of the lip

* Don’t be afraid that you will scratch the lip, because later when 150 is used it will be all smoothed out, having said so careful not to sand it too much with the harsh ones.

3. Once you are happy with the sanding, give it a clean/wash, again let it dry completely before applying primer.

*Don’t hold the can too close when spraying, or you will end up with drips

4. Sand back the primer again if you do get those drips, and re spray until a smooth surface is achieved.

5. Once your happy with the result, let it dry over night before applying the customized colour paint, again do not hold the can too close when spraying.

6. Make sure you leave about 5 – 10 minutes before each spray, and just give it a quick wipe in between to ensure nothing has fallen on to it during the time.

if you do get over sprays, sand it back and go over it again

7. Apply 3 – 5 coats, make sure all areas are well covered. Then let it dry again over night before spraying the clear coat.

With clear coat, I did about 5 layers first, then used 150 sandpaper to smooth it out before spraying another 5 coats.
    Don’t ask me why, it just something I had in the back of my mind, think was from woodwork class back in school where they told us the more you sand the smoother finished product will be.

8. Once your done, leave it to dry for a day or two, then apply wax. I used scratch out as well first to smooth out the paint surface, before finishing it off with HEAPS layers of wax.

Pretty happy with the result, turned out better then I thought.

In the pic there is a bit of difference as the car is dirty and the lip is freshly waxed.

Other comments: take your time in doing this, do not rush it through, make sure paint is well dried and settled before wax/putting it on the car
    Last edited by m3ntAL_l2; 02-06-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    great write up + rep!

wow. turned out good. any clearer photos?
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Sick!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.

clear pic taken today
    凸-_-凸

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Awesome! In the pics the colour looks just about perfect! Great work!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    yep. pretty happy with the turn out, as mentioned the car is pretty dirty, so should match up better when washed/waxed
    凸-_-凸

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic '96
    LOL you live in clayton (couldnt help but recognize the shops in the background)

nice write up, will hopefully be doing something liek this soon

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    fantastic write up, i wil be doin this soon to my own lip...

How bout color coding side molds an the side skirts? same procedure?

Last thing, does anyone know where to buy factory color spray cans? i know u can buy it as a liquid like house paint, but as a spray can form, dunno where...

cheers

Wow, nice write up!!!!! Btw, would a PU material spoiler need the sanding? and the same primer and cans? Thanks!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    i would assume so. a light sanding would not hurt to give u a smoother finish.

yes, only get the primer for plastic, ones for metal etc.. might burn/eat through the material
    凸-_-凸

Thanks!