Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CU2 2.4 Vtec

CU2 2.4 Vtec

Ok, some people say you feel the rush when VTEC kicks in... I honestly cant say that I have. The pull from 2000rpm until 7000rpm is pretty much the same to me. I honestly cant tell when and if VTEC kicks in. Dont get me wrong, she pulls like a dream throughout, but I dont feel any significant power boost within a specific rpm range.

Am I just expecting too much?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by greg6510 View Post
    Ok, some people say you feel the rush when VTEC kicks in... I honestly cant say that I have. The pull from 2000rpm until 7000rpm is pretty much the same to me. I honestly cant tell when and if VTEC kicks in. Dont get me wrong, she pulls like a dream throughout, but I dont feel any significant power boost within a specific rpm range.

Am I just expecting too much?
    The famous power surge associated with VTEC has changed somewhat with i-VTEC (what CU2 has). With VTEC there is a distinct power surge when you hit the VTEC threshold. The threshold might be two stages or one stage depending on the engine type.

With i-VTEC, the torque curve is a lot broader and smoother. This is great for everyday driveability but you may not feel the sudden power surge. Personally, I believe i-VTEC is a significant improvement to VTEC as I don't race car
    Last edited by limleong; 03-06-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Do you have an auto Greg?

I got manual, I get a big torque rush from about 4k rpm. Vtec kicks in around 5k rpm, but it is not really noticeable.

If your car is new, it should loosen up a fair bit from 10k kms.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Limelong was right... the i-vtec is a bit diff compare to the normal vtec. the purpose of i-vtec is to deliver vtec on almost every rpm, to produce power n fuel efficiency at the same time.

Although I did once heard a different sound coming from the engine when I accel to 80km/h on the 2nd gear. the sound of the engine changed abit at around 4,500rpm. From the normal vrommm to vreeeeemmmm

Bye2 Honda... Hello Mazda family

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Yeah, if they CU2 is anything like the CL9 engine, not a lot happens under 3000rpm. The torque comes on after that. The nice thing about Honda i-VTEC engines is they seem to keep building right up to redline very smoothly. I think that there are a couple of 'stages' in the Euro version of i-VTEC?

Definitely makes a nice noise when revving hard, but is extremely restrained and quiet up to 3500rpm. It's a bit Jeckyll and Hyde.

- HZ

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The CU2 is not designed to have that kick when VTEC is engaged. That's why you don't feel or hear it. To make the small difference more noticeable, you will need to get a pod filter intake.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    Do you have an auto Greg?

I got manual, I get a big torque rush from about 4k rpm. Vtec kicks in around 5k rpm, but it is not really noticeable.

If your car is new, it should loosen up a fair bit from 10k kms.
    u get a torque rush because the man has more torque than the auto does on all Cu2 models.
    im not biased, i just tell it how it is.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by UNLS1 View Post
    u get a torque rush because the man has more torque than the auto does on all Cu2 models.
    Which is why I asked if he had an auto....

Thanks Guys. I have the manual, done about 4200km so far, only 3 months old.

I agree, I feel a constant pull from about 2000rpm to 7000rpm which is great! I just thought at around 5000rpm, I would feel my head getting stuck to the head rest :-)

I just did a SS freeflow exhaust as well, waiting for my CAI to arrive from INJEN, and will then do the UNICHIP and VTEC Controller next week. WIll post dyno runs pics, and some pics and sound clips.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Give it a flogging mate, it should loosen up.

You should feel a difference at about 4k rpm, and hear a change at about 5k rpm. Try some 2nd gear pulls and concentrate on these points.
    Wrong car for the head back in seat LOL!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Thanks Guys. I have the manual, done about 4200km so far, only 3 months old.

I agree, I feel a constant pull from about 2000rpm to 7000rpm which is great! I just thought at around 5000rpm, I would feel my head getting stuck to the head rest :-)
    Uh, it has only 148kW@ 7000 rpm and 234Nm@ 4300 rpm pulling over 1.5 tonnes. Even if it had the best goddamn VTEC transition in the world, it is still not going to push your head back into the head rest.

I just did a SS freeflow exhaust as well, waiting for my CAI to arrive from INJEN, and will then do the UNICHIP and VTEC Controller next week. WIll post dyno runs pics, and some pics and sound clips.
    The Unichip supports fuel, ignition and VTEC point changing. You don't need a VTEC controller.

Also, most of the power gains would come from controlling the VTC, which the Unichip can't do.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    yeah dude, your expectations were way too high, the CU2 is not made for racing so there is no need for the performance from the old VTEC engine, i'm pretty sure it was designed to be a luxury car. The standard CU2 (which i got) is already luxurious enough, i can't even imagine the Luxury Model *drools*,
    how ever just like aaron said, if you do want a little bit of a notice-ability on the famous VTEC sound for the CU2, then install some sort of intake (short ram or CAI), should make it more noticeable.