Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda.

Beginners guide to installing an ek9 steering wheel

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I wasn't able to find a diy on this so i decided to make my own for people to see with pics, it should makes life much easier, with the help of my brother this was done in 10mins.

Aim: To install ek9 steering wheel into my ek4

Tools needed:

Step 1. 14mm socket/spanner & allen key tool (not exactly sure what its called)

Step 2. Disconnect the negative from your car battery, this is to keep the airbag from exploding

Step 3. On the left and right sides of your steering wheel there will be 2 plastic pieces, pry that open to locate the allen key bolts unscrew them to remove the air bag (remember lefty loosey righty tighty)

Step 4.
    In this picture the air bag is being removed slowy remove it. Wires will still be attached so be careful not to dislodge them.

Step 5. I have highlighted the area in which you have to remove all cables, with the yellow you simply just need to push it inwards them pull it out.

Step 6. Use the 14mm socket to undo the bolt in the middle of the steering wheel, once again lefty loosey righty tighty

Step 7.
    Use two hands and jiggle the steering wheel out then pull outwards in a straight motion. Stock steering is off ready for the replacement ek9 wheel.

Step 8. During this process you would have to remove the airbag from the ek9 wheel as well. As you will be putting in the wheel itself first then the airbag.

Step 9. Insert the ek9 air bag and tighten all the 2 bolts for the airbag and there you have it. Ek9 steering wheel in your vehicle ready to be enjoyed!

Step 10. Don't forget to connect your battery back otherwise you won't be able to start your car!

Thanks and i hope my diy was easy to understand and follow through, any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by nikolaz01; 05-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.

horn works??

im not sure if u can answer this, but i have a nardi wheel in my eg5 and the horn isnt working, whats the fix? ive read that this is a common problem, but want a fix so i can blast stupid drivers

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    lol at pedo bear
    nice work
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

nice work mate, pretty good condition steering wheel

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    hey
    i've got a spare dc2r wheel and i was always wondering how i was going to put it on if i ever wanted to lol.
    thanks very much for this

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellows2k View Post
    horn works??

im not sure if u can answer this, but i have a nardi wheel in my eg5 and the horn isnt working, whats the fix? ive read that this is a common problem, but want a fix so i can blast stupid drivers
    Yeah dude, horn works fine both sides. Did you try check the horn connector in your engine bay? sometimes that could be loose. And the wires on your steering wheel horn itself loose connections.

Thanks guys, my first diy hopefully make more soon

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Great DIY, Always wanted to know how to install steering wheel. Is there any chance of the airbag going off once the battery has been disconnected. I'm a lil paranoid about working with airbag.
    "It's B1GTYM baby!!"
    3TripleZero

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 and EVO9
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGTYM View Post
    Great DIY, Always wanted to know how to install steering wheel. Is there any chance of the airbag going off once the battery has been disconnected. I'm a lil paranoid about working with airbag.
    shouldn't be a problem but its always good to disconnect the battery then wait 10 minutes.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Is the installation process the same for a CL1 steering wheel?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    i did the same to my cousin EG. looks great now i think i should invest into one hehehe.
    only thing is the SRS light comes on now. but cbf looking into it. great write up.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    Great write up.

Btw, those star-shaped screws on the sides of the wheel are torx screws.

Member Array
    Car:
    2009 Red FN2R
    Great write up - did this exact swap last night!
    Maybe a tip to add is to put the 14mm bolt back in a few threads once once you have loosened it off.
    When you are jiggling the wheel loose this will make sure that you don't hit yourself in the face if it comes off quickly...
    ...96 EK4 VTIR Hatch, Enkei RPF1s, BClub Short Shift Kit, Mugen Pedals, Tanabe NF210 springs, whiteline rear sway bar