Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra

Gearbox Issues: Is is a messed-up Syncro?

Hey again guys and girls,

For a while (since March), I've been having trouble with the gearbox (5-speed manual) in my DC4 Integra. The symptoms: The First and Reverse gears don't get into gear properly, getting stuck on the way. Even after going back into Neutral, the gear still doesn't engage. Going into another gear (such as 3rd or 4th), OR accelerating (making a crunching noise) helps, but I don't particularly want do this for ever. Is this just a simple issue with transmission oil, or is the synchromesh messed up.

Thank You

Could be lacking oil in your gearbox and/or bearing/synchros are worn..

Get it checked before anything gets worse.

Been there, done that and trust me it's not cheap ! =\

Goodluck ! (Y)

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Leak in your master cylinder. Loss of pedal travel. You dont notice it cause your body adapts.
    Loss of pedal travel = loss of clutch travel.

Easiest check. Grab a light. Pop your head under your dash on the drivers side. Look at your clutch pedal. Follow it to the top and youll see a shaft with a a rubber boot around it that goes into the engine bay/firewall. Look around there. If its wet, feel it. If its oily substance with a stale metalic smell. Your clutch master cylinder is leaking.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Reverse gear does not have synchros. So something else is wrong. Check your clutch master cylinder for leaks, bleed the clutch fluid to get the old fluid out and replace the manual transmission fluid.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Check your clutch master cylinder for leaks,
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG.JAI xD View Post
    Leak in your master cylinder.
    I sense a pattern going on (sarcasm not intended), is the clutch master cylinder expensive/hard to fix/replace?

Anyway, I will take the car to the mechanics (I have a few other [non-drivetrain] issues to sort out) and find out the problems.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Member Array
    Car:
    Choo Choo shoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon Shotkicker View Post
    I sense a pattern going on (sarcasm not intended), is the clutch master cylinder expensive/hard to fix/replace?

Anyway, I will take the car to the mechanics (I have a few other [non-drivetrain] issues to sort out) and find out the problems.

Thanks everyone for your help!

2 13mm nuts. A retaining clip, 2 hose clamps.
    Then the bleeding process.

It is hard without knowledge of where it is and/or mechanical knowledge.

Newcomer Array
    umm i had the same problem with the gears not goin in properly, once its in it drove normally, just hard to push it into gear. i did an oil change for the transmission still not fixed, then a mechanic told me its most likely your clutch is worn. got a new one and its in good working condition now... so u might want to give that a go. do u know how many kms u done for ur clutch?