Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude

Loosing Clutch Pedal pressure?

What does it mean when I'm loosing clutch pedal pressure?

Are my Slave/Master clutch cylinders failing or is my clutch going?

I seem to be loosing pressure up the top of the pedal so there is a big gap between pressing the clutch and actual clutch pressure. The pressure comes back to normal every now and then.

Been like this for 2 days.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    check fluid levels and for leaks

otherwise i'd be betting on the master cylinder seals

if it's fairly old it's probably time to change it
    iirc new unit from honda for an ek was only about 75odd, not too sure about a bb6 though but i wouldn't imagine it'd be much different

yeah thats right, check the fluid level first, i had the same problem some time ago, my clutch was a bit softer than normal, checked fluid level, it was almost empty, topped up and gave few pumps of the pedal, all back to normal. i can't seem to find a leak but i have to top it up every 2-3 month, not a big deal, so i left it like that. but i always carry a bottle of oil and brake fluid in the boot of my car.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    check fluid levels and for leaks

otherwise i'd be betting on the master cylinder seals

if it's fairly old it's probably time to change it
    iirc new unit from honda for an ek was only about 75odd, not too sure about a bb6 though but i wouldn't imagine it'd be much different
    Quote Originally Posted by eg6sir View Post
    yeah thats right, check the fluid level first, i had the same problem some time ago, my clutch was a bit softer than normal, checked fluid level, it was almost empty, topped up and gave few pumps of the pedal, all back to normal. i can't seem to find a leak but i have to top it up every 2-3 month, not a big deal, so i left it like that. but i always carry a bottle of oil and brake fluid in the boot of my car.
    Do you guys know how to check fluid levels? I've never checked clutch fluid levels before

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    usually in a smaller reservoir next to your brake reservoir

also follow your clutch pedal upwards where it connects to the master cylinder itself, usually leaks from there too

Quote Originally Posted by Petronas View Post
    Do you guys know how to check fluid levels? I've never checked clutch fluid levels before
    Next to you brake booster there should be a smaller plastic reservior with a grey cap on it, open the cap and see if there are fluid in it, there is a line on it where the brake fluid should sit, anything below that needs a top up.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    usually in a smaller reservoir next to your brake reservoir

also follow your clutch pedal upwards where it connects to the master cylinder itself, usually leaks from there too
    Quote Originally Posted by eg6sir View Post
    Next to you brake booster there should be a smaller plastic reservior with a grey cap on it, open the cap and see if there are fluid in it, there is a line on it where the brake fluid should sit, anything below that needs a top up.
    Thanks guys.

To eg6sir - You mean clutch fluid in your last sentence yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Petronas View Post
    Thanks guys.

To eg6sir - You mean clutch fluid in your last sentence yeah?
    Sorry yeah, clutch fluid, but you use brake fluid to top it up though.

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Just topped up the brake and clutch fluids. (I'm guessing the bigger cap was the clutch fluid) - The clutch fluid was only 2 - 3cm below the line but filling it up made a difference, clutch was back to normal. We'll see if the pressure holds or not...

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    bigger one = brake fluid
    smaller one = clutch fluid

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    bigger one = brake fluid
    smaller one = clutch fluid
    Oh... Well the clutch fluid was only about 1cm below the line... But it still made a difference... Dunno...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...63#post2761563
    check my thread, had similar issue, got them replaced as it was on the way out