Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Track Prep FN2R

shame about the weather! last time i went out there the track was wet aswell and didnt get a decent run till it dried up which was towards the end of the day. Glad to see all those mods did you good. Im going to shift performance track day in November if you want to join me.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY00 DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by jyh888 View Post
    Update - Wakefield Park Open Day 2nd Sept

As most of you are aware yesterday was pouring rain! The track was very wet and slippery, so the first few sessions were suicide! I was running semi slicks and you can imagine what happened right?!
    It wasn't until the last 2 sessions where the track was starting to dry up, once it did I was able to push the car to a higher limit, all I have to say now is the car has so much grip! With the LSD and semi-slicks the car understeers so little and grips all the way through the corners when you push the throttle! The endless MX72's are awesome! For normal street driving you can't feel such a big difference but on the track, it is unbelievable, the brakes are very consistenly without the need for ABS to kick in.

At the end of the day my PB is 1.18.4, my aim was 1.15 and I know i can definately improve on that - the track was not 100% dry so I was hesitating to push the car harder however from an improvisation view, I shaved off 5 seconds compared to my last PB time. I still need more practice, especially approaching the last corner which is where I particularly lose a lot of time. Hopefully, I can find a nice dry day seeing that spring is here and practise a littler bit more before I do anything else to the car.

Question - my mates STi recently bought new DBA4000 rotors and he is getting brake shudder after the track day, could they possibly be warped?? How can you tell and is it advisable to get them machined or will it affect the heat treatment on the rotor?
    well done
    Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothaz View Post
    shame about the weather! last time i went out there the track was wet aswell and didnt get a decent run till it dried up which was towards the end of the day. Glad to see all those mods did you good. Im going to shift performance track day in November if you want to join me.
    Yea rain on the track especially with semis is suicide! What date is the track day? More details please

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    I have a problem with my car at the moment - It seems that after a few hard laps, the idle becomes crazy and starts jumping everywhere, making the car start to bunny hop. The exhaust also starts blowing out black smoke. I suspect that possibly the car is running overly rich from the intake, what do you guys think? Any one have similar problems? And does this harm the engine in any way?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Question - my mates STi recently bought new DBA4000 rotors and he is getting brake shudder after the track day, could they possibly be warped?? How can you tell and is it advisable to get them machined or will it affect the heat treatment on the rotor?
    Were the rotors brand new just installed when he ran them on the track? Or have they been driven around with for a few thousand km? The DBA4000 needs a few thermal cycles to avoid warping, hence the reason why it has temperature indicator marks on the edge of the rotor. Heat treatment is throughout the disc, so machining it shouuldn't affect it. Get the place to check the runout (amount of warp) before he machines it.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Were the rotors brand new just installed when he ran them on the track? Or have they been driven around with for a few thousand km? The DBA4000 needs a few thermal cycles to avoid warping, hence the reason why it has temperature indicator marks on the edge of the rotor. Heat treatment is throughout the disc, so machining it shouuldn't affect it. Get the place to check the runout (amount of warp) before he machines it.
    They were new but he ran them in on the street for about 1000kms at least. After the track day, we took out his old endless CCX pads and found out that they started to crumble and probably had caused grooves in the rotors, hes just recently machined 0.3mm off. Im surprised that DBA rotors can get warped so easily, he must have been braking very hard and late.

Btw anyone, know what I should do with my idling problem? It only happens when the car is driven hard, revs jump from around 1-3k rpm up and down and if i start driving the car it jerks - it has only happened after installing the intake, i was told that black smoke means the car is running rich, but I would have through that by installing a CAI, i would be having more air hence a leaner AFR? Will running a piggyback ECU ovveride this issue??

Hey mate your car looks really good with the volks. The 17's actually suit it very well.

Your intake is probably making your car run rich. You need to purchase something like flash pro to adjust the AFR. Our FN2's do not take well to modifications like the other k20 models. induction kits seem to loose power unless you have them mapped to suit mods.

Have you looked into coilovers yet. I was thinkin about BC racing BR coils. They seem to get a very good review and are at an affordable price.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    I have a problem with my car at the moment - It seems that after a few hard laps, the idle becomes crazy and starts jumping everywhere, making the car start to bunny hop. The exhaust also starts blowing out black smoke. I suspect that possibly the car is running overly rich from the intake, what do you guys think? Any one have similar problems? And does this harm the engine in any way?

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME.

went around the track, after i hopped off the 2nd time (probably after 6 hard laps in total) i went around, idling was up n down between 500rpm - 2,500rpm and A SH!T load of black smoke puffing away like a chimney. i noticed if you let the car sit for a while it will go away but once you hit the track again it'll start puffing again. Then let it sit and when you go home its back to normal again. I've also noticed that it struggles when it gets really hot (eg 40 deg summer day) but it doesn't spit out as much black smoke as the time at the track.

Bitch of a thing is to get the car moving while its like that you have to ride the clutch a bit just to get it starting and when your trying to move the car to line up it bunny hops like someone's on L plates !

the solution mentioned earlier is to get a flashpro, from research i've conducted running a little rich is fine but i explained what happen to a mechanic friend he advised that should probably take it easy, just incase ahah so i won't be going again until i get flashpro tuned up

1 question though, when ur driving day to day do you have any burpling when you let the throttle go or when ur downshifting ?
    n3rb-alicious !

Yes the injen makes the car run really rich. Same thing happened to me when I gave the car a good thrashing for about 5 minutes. Similar to running on 3 cylinders lol. Shift track day at wakefield Monday 22nd November. Contact them for a spot.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf_FN2 View Post
    Hey mate your car looks really good with the volks. The 17's actually suit it very well.

Your intake is probably making your car run rich. You need to purchase something like flash pro to adjust the AFR. Our FN2's do not take well to modifications like the other k20 models. induction kits seem to loose power unless you have them mapped to suit mods.

Have you looked into coilovers yet. I was thinkin about BC racing BR coils. They seem to get a very good review and are at an affordable price.
    Yea I think i've come to the conclusion that the car is running rich - do you know if there is a standard map on the flashpro that will help? I can't really justify paying for a full tune with just an intake...but im not sure if it actually causes a loss in power...it definately does pull harder at the higher rev range but then again it could be just the induction sound lol. Have you got an intake fitted with flashpro or similar?

Yea the 18s weighed too much, 17s are lighter and tyres are cheaper too

I think the stock suspension handles very well, so I am not yet changing it

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by br3nny View Post

THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME.

went around the track, after i hopped off the 2nd time (probably after 6 hard laps in total) i went around, idling was up n down between 500rpm - 2,500rpm and A SH!T load of black smoke puffing away like a chimney. i noticed if you let the car sit for a while it will go away but once you hit the track again it'll start puffing again. Then let it sit and when you go home its back to normal again. I've also noticed that it struggles when it gets really hot (eg 40 deg summer day) but it doesn't spit out as much black smoke as the time at the track.

Bitch of a thing is to get the car moving while its like that you have to ride the clutch a bit just to get it starting and when your trying to move the car to line up it bunny hops like someone's on L plates !

the solution mentioned earlier is to get a flashpro, from research i've conducted running a little rich is fine but i explained what happen to a mechanic friend he advised that should probably take it easy, just incase ahah so i won't be going again until i get flashpro tuned up

1 question though, when ur driving day to day do you have any burpling when you let the throttle go or when ur downshifting ?
    Im glad you posted this! I thought i was the only one with this problem...it seems like our cars are very sensitive to air flow changes, are you going to get a full tune? You also have headers and catback exhaust? Please let me know how it goes after the tune, im also very interested in the results and dyno chart please!

Burpling? Nope not that I am aware of....but the engine does sound a little odd during start up, idle sounds very rough and not as smooth

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothaz View Post
    Yes the injen makes the car run really rich. Same thing happened to me when I gave the car a good thrashing for about 5 minutes. Similar to running on 3 cylinders lol. Shift track day at wakefield Monday 22nd November. Contact them for a spot.
    I guess we all on the same boat! Hmm, ill try to make that track day, are you from sydney?