Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof care tips.

Roof care tips.

Hey guys, I will just give a few tips for those with soft tops on how to keep good care of them in the Harsh Australian Sun.

-Remove Bird shit as soon as it hits the roof, trust me. Once it dries its a bitch. A good way to get rid of dried bird shit that wont come out is too scrub it with an old toothbrush with warm soapy water. If it still stands out in the pores of the vinyl, see if the wife, girlfriend, mother or Grandmother has Big Kev's goo remover. I dont think you can buy this stuff anymore so i hope the first option works for you.

-Use a sponge with extra soapy water to clean the roof during washing process, give it a good scrub as you would not beleive how mutch soot and road grime collects on them. I have found that a firmer sponge works well for the soft top

-I leave my top to dry in the sun when i quickly chamoise the body.

-Now for the magical product i have discovered. Once the top is completely dry its time to protect the top from UV rays, water ect...

I use a product called Autoglym Vynil and Rubber Care. It comes in a spray bottle. Its is great as it brings back that new wet look to your top, protects it, quick and easy to apply and lasts a few rains and washes.

The best way to apply it to the top i have found is use a cotton rag (shirt like consictency not like a towel). Do not spray it directly on the roof as it is better applied when you spray in on the rag. It also leaves grasy dots on your car paint from overspray. Once the whole roof is generusly covered it takes a few minuets to dry and set into the vynil. If your rood is very dull you can hit it again and bring up even more shine.

Dont know if anyone else uses this stuff but its great. It costs about $20 a bottle from repco. I will get some pictures up of the roof with product applied ASAP.

Here is a picture of bottle for reference.

Oh yea and you can use it on interior and exterior trims, car tyres and Dash aswell.
    Last edited by asps91; 09-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    VTEC YO!

Member Array
    Car:
    Mazda 3
    interesting.
    would u have a before and after pic?

i have used other auto glym stuff and its good so ill get some of this too thanks

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I use 303 protectant for external vinyl and external + internal trim. It is probably very similar to the Autoglym stuff.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    AP2 S2000/CL9 Euro Lux
    303 vinyl cleaner and protectant is the mostly used along with raggtop.

Just remember that the S2K top is vinyl and not fabric, so don't buy any wrong products.

is there a product that will give you back that orginal black look for the roof?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by STAiN MASTER View Post
    is there a product that will give you back that orginal black look for the roof?
    Usually difficult if the roof was left without vinyl protectant and as a result is already bleached by the UV
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000
    using 303 here as well, the cleaner and the protectant, good shit. another good product is mother's plastic polish for those with plastic rear windows

Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by STAiN MASTER View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FOREV...Q5fAccessories

The link is to "Forever Black" which is a black vinyl dye. Was keen on getting this stuff myself as my roof was very slightly faded, but using 303 protectant already darkened my roof as it restored some of the lost "moisture" to the vinyl.

My only worry would be that the dye leaks from rain etc =/

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 S2000 and 94 prelude
    does anybody know of any good products to use on the after market stay fast cloth tops? mine is constantly getting dirty. especially with cat hair as my cat thinks its a hammock and keeps jumping ontop of it and all the hair is a bitch to get off the fabric lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic ep3
    following on from this, can anyone suggest a product to clean the plastic rear window?