Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r

How many laps before the oil temp is to high

So im going to wakefield soon in my dc2r, i dont have a oil temp guage and i know there are lots of factors , but how many hard laps can you do before it gets to hot roughly

b series engines oil temps go ballistic after 2 hot laps man..
    should really get an oil cooler kit if not then one warm up lap for the tyres n brakes then 2 hard laps n then 1-2 cooldown laps and 2 hard laps again..
    when i didnt have an oil cooler kit my oil temp was 150+ after 3 hot laps...

Member Array
    Car:
    Js Racing Time Attack DC5
    You can't make the call if you can't measure it. Invest in an oil temp gauge and oil cooler. At Superlap just gone I ran 110-115 C for a whole session with no problems. Oil viscosity will be a factor too.

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    Depends on what people think are safe oil temps, and depends on what oil is used. 150+ was mentioned above, wow... that's insane. The highest I have let my temp go to is 105 degrees, normally only 100 degrees maximum. So taking those temps into account, here is rough guide (NB: Summer using 10W-40, Winter using 5W-30 --> Royal Purple):

With out a Oil Cooler:
    Summer - 1.5 laps
    Winter - 2.5 - 3 laps

with oil cooler:
    Summer - 5-6 laps
    Winter - 10 12 laps.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    Depends how you drive as well! If it's your first time at wakey then just take it easy until you get your gauges. Contact Shift performance. They got these shadow gauges for like $130 or so ready to plug in and off you go!!!
    Last edited by FLICK; 12-06-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    - MTA APPRENTICESHIP PLUS - SHIFT PERFORMANCE - +++++++

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    I should mention i do have a oil cooler, i dont plan on hitting the track often so can really see the need in investing in a guage

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomsy View Post
    I should mention i do have a oil cooler, i dont plan on hitting the track often so can really see the need in investing in a guage
    So, you want to save $130 at the risk of blowing a $5000 engine on the track?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda EGK25A
    ^hmm... I think your onto something there.
    - MTA APPRENTICESHIP PLUS - SHIFT PERFORMANCE - +++++++

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Even my crappy family car has an aftermarket oil temp and pressure gauge in it, because I track my car once every 1-2 years. Having to tow and repair the car will cost many times more than the price of the gauges.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Oil cooler isnt really needed. If your starting out, do 2-3 laps flying then let the car cool down doing some cruising laps at 70% pace. Throw the heater on max, turn it on. Make sure the cooling system is in good working order. I remembered hearing the bathurst 12 hr race, the honda integra runs no aftermarket oil cooler only the stock water/oil exchanger and oil temps are steady and nothing dangerous.

Head down to Justjap for gauges. Billions in stock and alot of variety to choose from. Were running shadow oil temp $130 and oil pressure $160 purchased thru them.

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    My EGK24A used to overheat within 3 hot laps at Wakefield ( 145'c oil temp )
    After 19 row oil cooler set up it took around 6-7 hot laps to hit 115'c oil temp ( depending on weather )
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Head down to Justjap for gauges. Billions in stock and alot of variety to choose from. Were running shadow oil temp $130 and oil pressure $160 purchased thru them.
    JUST JAP has the shadow gauges for $100 for Oil Temp and $140 for Oil Pressure. Cheapest in Sydney by far