Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport FD2

FD2 With K&N Typhoon Air Intake - Legal in VIC for Pplaters ?

Currently, the law in Victoria states that:

"""New definition of probationary prohibited vehicle
    (from 1 July 2007)

has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, ""

So, technically, engine that has been modified as in the single engine unit itself being modified + turbo/surpercharging, which is illegal on P-platers for sure. They always check under bonnet for turbo/supercharging in P-plater's

What about changing the air intake using the K&N Typhoon intake (CAI) which is currently used for the Honda Si 2.0L (USA) = Honda Civic 2.0 Sport. Would that be 'legally' classified as an intake modification rather than engine.

the final thing looks pretty stock as the pod is tucked in the "Stock" airbox bottom and behind a shield and the original bottom part of the air box is retained. Would cops be able to tell the difference? (That the plastic tube has now become a metal one )

http://www.knfilters.com/images/m/69-1014TS_Eng1.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Yes changing the air intake would be considered illegal for P platers as it increases performance of the car, it is also an aftermarket part that is not produced by the manufacturer. If you go ahead, you will have to do so at your own risk. Judging from the picture you provided, it can be easily seen that it is not a stock airbox. Usually cops will not investigate your car unless they are suspicious, so my advice would be to just drive responsibly and don't be hoon and rev all around the streets as that gives away that your car has a pod filter undeneath that bonnet. Besides if your civic looks overall stock from the exterior, i don't think you would have too many problems with the authorities. But as I said, it is considered illegal and it will be at your own risk if you decide to go ahead.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Quote Originally Posted by jyh888 View Post
    Usually cops will not investigate your car unless they are suspicious, so my advice would be to just drive responsibly and don't be hoon and rev all around the streets.

Besides if your civic looks overall stock from the exterior, i don't think you would have too many problems with the authorities.

But as I said, it is considered illegal and it will be at your own risk if you decide to go ahead.
    I was going to say the same thing.

Technically according to your p-plate rules it is illegal. However I think what they are really getting at are high-end modifications such as turbo/supercharging.

I think even if you get pulled over with a cold air intake there would be no problem.

Except there would be a problem: the typhoon will not work on your car.

Why? It with throw a CEL (check engine light) as the MAF (mass air flow) sensor will be thrown off.

My Fujita SRI (short ram intake) arrived on Friday and it proved to be unsuccessful.

My advice: buy a performance panel filter.

If that's not enough and you want more induction noise: remove the resonator chamber and route the stock pipe to the front bar to increase cold air flow.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport FD2
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    I was going to say the same thing.

Technically according to your p-plate rules it is illegal. However I think what they are really getting at are high-end modifications such as turbo/supercharging.

I think even if you get pulled over with a cold air intake there would be no problem.

Except there would be a problem: the typhoon will not work on your car.

Why? It with throw a CEL (check engine light) as the MAF (mass air flow) sensor will be thrown off.

My Fujita SRI (short ram intake) arrived on Friday and it proved to be unsuccessful.

My advice: buy a performance panel filter.

If that's not enough and you want more induction noise: remove the resonator chamber and route the stock pipe to the front bar to increase cold air flow.
    Thanks dude, kinda sucks being stuck on the P-plates and worrying about everything. Car exterior pretty stock, rather spend my cash on performance than looks.

main goal is hoping to increase torque at low rpm's , faster takeoff.

I think the K&N typhoon comes with the slot to reconnect the stock MAF sensor back onto the intake system, it should work like stock.

Just remove it from the stock air box and replace it.

Not sure bout the fujita SRI you got, but check out the typhoon if your looking into having an aftermarket intake.

For about $400, the KN typhoon is an attractive upgrade, increasing total power output significantly compared to the replacement filters.

Currently got the KN replacement panel in, but doesn't increase performance that much (not noticeable).

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    As I said in my last post, the typhoon will not work on your car. It is designed for the k20z3. The reason it will not work on our FD2 is due to the sensitivity of our MAF sensors. My fujita has a slot for the sensor. Still doesn't work. Here's my next recommendation:

x-intake

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CL9 EuroLux07
    ...i see red P platers driving Evo's, s2000s and type Rs...i reckon they wouldnt pay so much heed as long as its not exposed (knock on wood)

get the rbc manifold and a injen cai.. expect $700ish
    if not someone on this forum have injen SRI on his FD2 and no CEL.
    just make sure you disconnect the battery... and try your luck .
    another option is the X intake like what xenonkuraz did, which is the cheapest