Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209

CAI pod filter fell off

Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice regarding my injen cai on my b16a EM1.

I've had the CAI since 9 months ago. I bought it second hand off a member and I had to replace the Injen pod filter as it was well worn and had large holes in it. Problem was, i had trouble sourcing a reasonably priced pod the correct neck diameter (2.75 inch I believe).

I ended up with a 3 inch 3A Racing filter and I had to use a plastic adapter and some electrical tape wrapped around the piping to make it fit.

The problem is, it works its way loose after a few weeks of driving (it doesn't help that the CAI pipe doesn't have a bulge at the end, like the end of radiator hose attachments etc... an obvious design flaw.)and has to be regularly checked. It has fallen off before.

I tightened it real well last time and neglected to check it for about 6 weeks It fell off God knows how long ago. I have noticed better fuel economy and (maybe) more power as a result of driving (unknowingly) without a filter.

MY QUESTIONS ARE THIS:

1. What can I do in order to make it stay put, apart from taking the bar off every other week and tightening/checking it?

2. I really don't know how long it has been off for. I havent been driving in overly dusty conditions, just around town, but what can I do to minimise any damage done to the internals? Should I change the oil asap/do a TB clean, or is it too late so I shouldn't bother?

I haven't noticed any loss in power, engine is still nice and strong. However, especially last night before I noticed it was off, i took the car for a very spirited run in the country with VTEC aplenty. I'm guessing any particles that have been sucked into the combustion chamber have been burned up, or thoroughly rubbed into the cylinder walls causing wear.

All reasonable responses will be welcome.

Cheers,

Mike
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    3A racing filter is a 3inch internal rubber neck, but it WILL fit on a 2.75inch pipe, no problem. Not sure what you are doing but it WILL fit without and adapter and Won't come off. Just tighten the clamp up. It won't bind or collapse or whatever.

As for running without a filter. You'll be fine man. As long as it wasn't prolonged and you weren't driving on dirt roads. You obviously haven't sucked up any thing large enough and significant enough to do damage.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    3A racing filter is a 3inch internal rubber neck, but it WILL fit on a 2.75inch pipe, no problem. Not sure what you are doing but it WILL fit without and adapter and Won't come off. Just tighten the clamp up. It won't bind or collapse or whatever.

As for running without a filter. You'll be fine man. As long as it wasn't prolonged and you weren't driving on dirt roads. You obviously haven't sucked up any thing large enough and significant enough to do damage.
    Cheers Deano!

But even with the adapter it comes off. When I tighten it, believe me I tighten it really tight.

Maybe I should just get rid of the adapter and then just do it up really well.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    You sure its 2.75 inch? Injen may be 2.5 inch and why your having problems. Someone confirm?

Also the bulge you speak of is only really usefull for something that is under pressure (pushing), so it won't come off. No real need for something that is under vacuum and (sucking).
    Last edited by DLO01; 15-06-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    You sure its 2.75 inch? Injen may be 2.5 inch and why your having problems. Someone confirm?

Also the bulge you speak of is only really usefull for something that is under pressure (pushing), so it won't come off. No real need for something that is under vacuum and (sucking).
    Yes, would like confirmation on the injen piping diameter as well. Frankly speaking, the fit without an adapter is much less than perfect.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Why don't you take a ruler and measure the one on your car?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Thanks again. rep point given for info.

I'll try to re-fit it without the adapter when i have time this weekend.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    get the end of the Injen, flared. Most exhaust shops can do this for you.

Flaring it from 2.75 to 3" will be pretty easy.

Otherwise get a silicone flare, and put a bit of 3" steel pipe in it to join the silicone & pod.
    Always use clamps tape will always fall off due to heat
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
    get the end of the Injen, flared. Most exhaust shops can do this for you.

Flaring it from 2.75 to 3" will be pretty easy.

Otherwise get a silicone flare, and put a bit of 3" steel pipe in it to join the silicone & pod.
    Always use clamps tape will always fall off due to heat
    Great info Limbo.

Thanks!

Rep is on its way. I might go to an exhaust shop and get a quote.

However, I don't agree with your last sentence "Always use clamps tape will always fall off due to heat". It's a cold air intake and the pod is located in the cool area of the bumper cavity, not a hot engine bay. I strongly belive that an exposed pod in an engine bay does more harm than good for performance, unless its housed in a proper heat-sheilded compartment.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    You could get some duct tape and wrap a few layers around the end of the Injen pipe so that the 3" pod neck fits snug?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    You could get some duct tape and wrap a few layers around the end of the Injen pipe so that the 3" pod neck fits snug?
    Also sounds like a good idea.