Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2

whats wrong with my civic FD?

over the last 2 months I've been experiencing quite often a stuttering when I change gears or start rolling in first.

It seems to be more apparent in first than the rest, and it only does it for a second or so.
    feel like somethings vibrating in the engine compartment?

I was told it could be the clutch, but not sure.

car has only 50k for the clutch to go so soon? never happened to me.

thanks for any advice guys.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Ex-DC5, FD1
    well, I am no expert but here's what I gathered...

depending on your style of driving and gear shifting...the clutch generally can last about 200,000-240,000km (just a rough figure). When was the last time you serviced your car?

if theres a change in the feeling of the clutch, it might be that the hydraulic fluid of the clutch system is low. If you notice a change in the engagement when the engine is cold but alright when its hot, it might be the pressure plate of the clutch being either weak or worn. Another possibility is a possible oil leak in the rear of the engine that causes oil to sip into the clutch disc causing the clutch to stutter when it engages until the heat 'burns' off the oil.

if theres gear slipping = might be the friction material on the clutch wearing off. If theres a rumbling sound when the clutch engages, it might be the thrown-out bearing (clutch-release bearing) is worn.

Found this quick diagnostic test for the clutch on the web (not sure how true it is, but worth a try, i suppose)

1) start the car, set to parking brake and at neutral
    2) with the car idling, listen for any growling noise without pushing the clutch. if theres a noise = transmission problem
    3) with the car in neutral, begin to push to clutch and listen for noise. If theres a chirpping noise as you press = clutch release or thrown-out bearing problem
    4) push the clutch down all the way to the floor. if squealing = pilot key or bushing problem.
    5) if noise at idle and goes away when clutch is pressed = might be contact point between the fork and the pivot ball.

There possibilities with the stuttering might be a clogges fuel-injector or fuel-filter.

As I mentioned, I am not entirely sure but did a quick search for you and found some possibilities. Please forgive me if the information is inaccurate. = ) Hope this helps

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Does it shudder when you pull the gear stick into a different gear? Or does it shudder when you release the clutch? Or does it shudder when you start to press the accelerator again?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Does it shudder when you pull the gear stick into a different gear? Or does it shudder when you release the clutch? Or does it shudder when you start to press the accelerator again?
    seems to do it when I've release the clutch 90% or so and only at low revs (<2000rpm)
    Lately i've used the car very little and ran it with low tank several times (i know, i know :-) the car is also due for an air filter change

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebuddha View Post
    seems to do it when I've release the clutch 90% or so and only at low revs (<2000rpm)
    Lately i've used the car very little and ran it with low tank several times (i know, i know :-) the car is also due for an air filter change
    Sounds like the electronic throttle is indecisive when it gets the load put back on the engine as the clutch bites. I recommend you release the clutch in one smooth action and apply slightly more throttle to remove the indecisiveness. You can feel the same thing when you are using cruise control at freeway speeds. When the cruise control comes back onto the throttle to speed up, it feels jerky.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CM6 CU2
    hmmm, are you running unleaded 91? i found that if you use 95 or 98 it doesn't shudder as much at low revs. Or you could apply more throttle as aaronng suggested. Mine did that when i was using 91 so i did what aaronng said, but i'm running 98 now and it's fine at low revs

Member Array
    Car:
    fd1
    not trying to be rude, but has your gf/wife/someone else (or possibly yourself) driven the car, riding the clutch everywhere?

My sister took my car out to do some 'l's driving with my dad and what i thought was 2 hours of driving around, turned out to be 2 hours of parking/hill starts FML.

Judging by the age of the clutch and how its shuddering, it sounds like you have glazed your clutch (exactly what mine felt like).

Go to your local 'track' and do one or two hard launches or redline clutch dumps and you will be sorted
    2012 BMW S1000rr - 184whp, 9.733s @ 148.27mph - Quick enough!
    2006 Honda Civic - 101whp, 61s BBGL Short - When I need a bbt.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Fd2
    unhook battery, hold down brake for 10 seconds. reconnect battery. take it for a drive.

it might just be the comp is out of whack with the air/fuel mixture. did you change anything recently?