Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & Liberty

thermostat problem.....

My thermostat keeps moving up and down while im driving.... i think it needs to be replaced yeah?? or is it just the cold weather?? if i do need to replace it is it easy do to it DIY style? or should i take it to the mechanic? if so does anyone know how much it cost to buy a original honda one and where to get it?? and how much does a mechanic normally charge to install it??

Thanks!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    u mean ur gauge keeps going up and down while ur driving? cause u wont know if ur thermostat goes up and down lol. it might be stuck open not letting the car warm up. shouldnt be more then 50bucks for a brand new one from honda. its pretty easy to do yourself if you have the tools and times if not u should be able to get it done for 50-100bucks by mechanic

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & Liberty
    hey thanks for your help! what im trying to say when i drive on the freeway or on fifth gear it tends to go below the cold line lol and when at driving through peak it reachs 40% sometimes not even hmmm ill give honda a call yeah the gauge

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    if its like that then the thermo is stuck open.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & Liberty
    so do i need to replace it??

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    talk to your mechanic about it but no harm in changing it.

With a stuck open thermostat, you're not running at full temperature. There is a table in the ECU for fuel enrichment based on coolant temperature. Your fuel economy will soon turn to shit and you'll quickly cost yourself more in extra fuel than replacement of the thermostat. Having said that, you don't need to do it right away, it's not going to blow anything up.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 & Liberty
    thanks for your help ill get it changed asap =]!!!

Seems like your thermostat is stuck open. You'll probably notice the temperature going up in a slow city driving or waiting in traffic light, and drop below the minimun point when in freeway driving. It is a relatively easy job to change it if you know how to get to the part, it requires taking off some other parts above to access it.

You can get the part in Repco, just tell them the year of your accord or engine model they'll find it for you, i reckon it is around $30 for a aftermarket one, if perform by a mechanic i would say under $60-$100

You should get it fixed asap as too much coolant run into your engine means your engine will never reach the optium operate temperature=bad for your engine

well my cars been running cold/cool since i got it. my friend (whom i bought it off) said it was the CAI/efficient cooling system, so i kept everything as is. i continually got 400kms with a bit to go from my dc2r which is pretty damn good.

TWO YEARS LATER lol...

i had another dc2r friend tell me he changed his thermostat and now the temp needle, within 5 mins of warmup is a bracket under 1/2 way.

i have NEVER had the car at that temp even after prolonged periods of driving in winter.

so i got it changed tonight and what do u know, half way within 5 minutes fockers. i'm yet to do a fuel test, but i'm sure it will improve.

pictures are of a stuck open thermostat. Notice the gap between the rubber and metal plate.

Last edited by SiReal; 30-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.