Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget

ED Civic won't start

Hi guys,

My ED Civic's been sitting around doing nothing for over a year. I tried to start it however it just kept cranking but wouldn't turn over. The battery is good.

Any chance of me getting it to start? Or do you think the engine is dead from sitting there for so long?

It's a D15z2.

Let me know guys! Thanks!

Andrew

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    It could be a number of things. Are you using a new battery?

Assuming the battery is OK, is the starter OK (it turning the engine over?
    If yes, I'd check:
    1. Ensure you have spark
    2. Ensure you have fuel delivery

If you've tried a few times and had no luck, you might have flooded the engine. In which case you'll need to pull your plugs out and air the cylinders (if that hasn't already be done).

But yeah, first check for spark, and fuel delivery and take it from there. Post back if you're not sure how to check for spark.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    fuel could be off...

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Hi guys,

Yes the battery is perfect - Had it battery tested at the mechanics last week. The starter is also good as the engine is cranking correctly.

OK this is what I can conclude from what you guys are saying:

The fuel could be off - therefore if I get one of those engine start sprays, it should start if this was the only issue? And if it starts I just need new fuel?

Ensure I have spark - How do I do this? Should I change the spark plugs?

As a note the car was reconditioned and fully serviced approximately 8000km before we stopped using it. Unfortunately at the time my brother bought a new car and neglected to perform any storage maintenance on the car. The engine oil is still on the mark perfectly, and all fluids are correct. And I didn't know fuel could go off however I know that you are supposed to fill it up to ensure condensation doesn't build up in it. Unfortunately it only has about a quarter of a tank in it since we stopped using it =(

Failing that what

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    If the fuel has been in there for a year it's probably bad by now. Best to drain your tank and get some new fuel in there.

BEFORE PROCEEDING, NOTE THAT I NOR OZHONDA TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE FOLLOWING. YOU FOLLOW THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCE WORKING ON CARS OR WITH ELECTRICITY THEN DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. THE SUPPLY TO THE SPARK PLUGS IS A DANGEROUSLY HIGH VOLTAGE AND CONTACT CAN RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Now that you realise the risks....

To check for spark, take out one of your plugs and clamp it to a metal part on your block (the engine lifting eye is a good / easy to access part). Make sure it's securely firmly with metal on metal contact (obviously not the tip of the plug but the section that screws into the block. This will act as the return path for the current.

Attach the lead of the plug on to the base of the plug.

Disconnect the leads off the other plugs and disconnect/disable your fuel pump.

Now try to crank the engine over and see if you can see some spark. Don't crank it for too long or you might burn your dizzy. Best to do this in the dark so you can clearly see the spark. Make sure you don't stick your face right in front of it when it is first cranked.

Do you have spark? Also if the plugs look fouled, then maybe just replace them with fresh ones.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    your carbies could have dried out as well,