Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 civic cxi

D16Y4 Turbo kit ( i understand this has been brought up abit)

Hey Guys,

im new to the Car Modifing scene and have been out of the car scene for a few years. i currently own a 1996 Honda Civic cxi hatchback which is in unreal condition and low k's. Within the next few weeks ill be looking to modify it with the usual bodykit, rims, suspension, turbo and a few other things; the point of this post is to clarify a few things (older posts are dated to far back) and make sure im going in the right direction.

I understand that alot of people do go with the Peakboost turbo kit as it seems to be realible at 7psi on stock internals. what are the pros and cons with going with peakboost? who supplies this either within brisbane or other states are fine.

With the other posts that i have come across they mainly talk about what they are going to do to the engine and thats about it. with adding this turbo kit on, would i be looking at upgrading the gearbox and clutch to cope with this? would i need to upgrade the CV joints and is this possible? is there anything else running gear wise which i will need to upgrade?

Also i dont know the correct term for it, but what i wouuld like to prevent what i call 'bunny hopping' where by taking of and the front wheels dont gain traction, the front feels like it jumps up and down (lol) and the dash shakes. is there anything suspension wise which will stop this or do i need to put up with it?

i know there are some basic questions however i was not able to find answers for these.

i hope someone is able to help me.

Dylan

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    this should be in the FI thread
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 civic cxi
    Okay sure ill try there.

Thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 civic cxi
    still no help - can anyone tell me of engine builders/tuners in brisbane who i can personally speak to?

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    isnt bunny hopping from being a noob driver? idk

The D16Y4 engine =/ (slow engine, which is probably why your looking to chuck a turbo on it)

imo, i dont think you should be wasting money on a CXi, get a GLi and do an engine swap. B18C is one of the best engines u can get, double the power of a D16Y4.

CXi:
    no power mirrors,
    no power windows,
    no tacho (but you can install one),
    possibly no a/c in some CXi,
    no rear drum brakes

Sorry for my choice of words but..
    i can definitely feel some childish urges in your posts where you are really hyped and want to get shit done ASAP

have you done any research? cos there are like heaps of better mods that can be done with the cash you are going to use for a turbo.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 civic cxi
    Quote Originally Posted by aznalex View Post
    isnt bunny hopping from being a noob driver? idk.
    lol thats funny tbh, im not going to reply back to that.

The D16Y4 engine =/ (slow engine, which is probably why your looking to chuck a turbo on it)

imo, i dont think you should be wasting money on a CXi, get a GLi and do an engine swap. B18C is one of the best engines u can get, double the power of a D16Y4.
    If i was going to do this - i wouldnt bother doing it to the car i have; i would get a car that comes factory turbo

CXi:
    no power mirrors,
    no power windows,
    no tacho (but you can install one),
    possibly no a/c in some CXi,
    no rear drum brakes.
    the only things i do not have are tacho, power mirrors and windows. tbh im not a lazy person so it doesnt bother me about no power windows and mirrors, just means less electricals i need to maintain. about the tacho i dont need one at present since i listen to the engine; when i do get these mods done i will do the obvious and get one installed coupled with a few other gauges.

Sorry for my choice of words but..
    i can definitely feel some childish urges in your posts where you are really hyped and want to get shit done ASAP .
    i can understand where you are coming from as this is the first car that i will actually get to modify; however childish i dont agree with. i have money and i am not worried by how i spend it, this is my first car that i will be modifing as what i have stated previously and i just want a fun car for day to day.

have you done any research? cos there are like heaps of better mods that can be done with the cash you are going to use for a turbo.
    Yes i have done some research hence the questions i asked, this topic has been covered but from a year to 2 years ago. i dont want to go with a mini-me conversion or n/a parts. the best bang for your buck i have found is to go the turbo route and thats what i am going to go with.

If anyone else who has done this to there D16Y4 or has any other input please let me know.

Everyones help is apreciated.

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5
    lol sorry 4 coming by as a bit of an ass
    & cheers for posting back in a neutral manner

anyhow, while coming across your topic, i read on a few more posts and saw this
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ilter+location

this guy is selling a turbo kit which fits into your car,
    if you ask a few questions im sure people who have already commented will know answers u are seeking

good luck with the turbo setup
    just realised why the world of modding is so popular, because u can you anything you want!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 civic cxi
    lol thats okay - this topic has been covered a few times so i sort of expect it ( also with my lack of knowledge with hondas)

that post would of been unreal if it was this year - i noticed this when i was about to post so i dont think he would still have it.

yeah most definately - im just unsure on a few things so i would like to find out what people think etc; everyones input is appreciated with me.

Oh definately - thats the exciting thing about it. if everyone is keen ill make a post with my car and the progress i make.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by ek lover View Post
    Hey Guys,

im new to the Car Modifing scene and have been out of the car scene for a few years. i currently own a 1996 Honda Civic cxi hatchback which is in unreal condition and low k's. Within the next few weeks ill be looking to modify it with the usual bodykit, rims, suspension, turbo and a few other things; the point of this post is to clarify a few things (older posts are dated to far back) and make sure im going in the right direction.

I understand that alot of people do go with the Peakboost turbo kit as it seems to be realible at 7psi on stock internals. what are the pros and cons with going with peakboost? who supplies this either within brisbane or other states are fine.

With the other posts that i have come across they mainly talk about what they are going to do to the engine and thats about it. with adding this turbo kit on, would i be looking at upgrading the gearbox and clutch to cope with this? would i need to upgrade the CV joints and is this possible? is there anything else running gear wise which i will need to upgrade?

Also i dont know the correct term for it, but what i wouuld like to prevent what i call 'bunny hopping' where by taking of and the front wheels dont gain traction, the front feels like it jumps up and down (lol) and the dash shakes. is there anything suspension wise which will stop this or do i need to put up with it?

i know there are some basic questions however i was not able to find answers for these.

i hope someone is able to help me.

Dylan
    OK, here's my input. If your only planning to run a stock block setup, I wouldnt go passed 10psi, just a heavy duty clutch & either lightened or machined flywheel will be fine. Dont need to do anything to the CV joints (driveshafts) either, stock untis can handle that sort of power fine. Im not really certain on the peakboost kit. I was looking at an ebay kit myself, which can be a hit & miss.

Your 'wheel hop' problem is caused by excessive engine movement. There are a few options you have. Motor mount inserts, Billet motor mounts, or an NRG engine torque damper. These will all help get the power down to the ground alot better, however, since your stiffening up the engine movement, you may notice extra rattles or vibrations from within the cabin. But IMO, thats a price worth paying for performance.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Sell the Cxi and get a better platform to modify with.

look at it this way. cxi is a better platform in the sense that its got less and therefore lighter. engine wise its the same as a gli and the only thing its missing besides some interior stuff and electrics, is a swaybar which u would replace anyway or even grab oem front ones that bolt on anyway