Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

General F1 update!

Banks mark up Ecclestone's credit-rating
    Whilst keeping a wary eye on GPWC

Bernie Ecclestone has won a vote of confidence from the three banks which two weeks ago won a legal action to wrest voting control of his companies from motor racing's commercial rights holder.

Bayerische Landesbank, JP Morgan Chase and Lehman Brothers acknowledge that without the 74-year-old at the helm the business of Grand Prix racing would be too complicated to administer.

"We would be badly advised if we were to exclude Ecclestone," Gerhard Gribkowsky, chairman of the Formula One holding company SLEC and a member of the board of management at the Bayerische Landesbank, told the Guardian newspaper.

"Over more than three decades he has established extensive contracts within the industry, sponsors, circuit operators and other involved parties. But there are limits. We will no longer allow ourselves to be pressed into a role in which we carry all the equity risk without saying a word."

The banks inherited a 75 percent stake in SLEC after the Kirsch media group, to which they had loaned 1.6 billion dollars to purchase a stake in Ecclestone's company, went into liquidation owing them the money. They sued Ecclestone because they did not have control which reflected their majority shareholding, not because they wanted to get rid of him. Ecclestone and the banks are now trying to prevent a breakaway world championship in 2008 organised by GPWC, the confederation of major car manufacturers. The car makers want more than the 24 percent of Formula One's estimated annual 400 million pound commercial rights income they currently get.

"We take the issue very seriously," said Gribkowsky. "I think the market is too small and that a power struggle between the two series would harm both. But I don't think the doors are closed yet." And he was eager for formula one to spread its wings further. "The moves into China and Bahrain were without doubt right," he said. "It would also be desirable to go to Russia and India. With only two races in North America we are under-represented compared to purchasing power."

Source AFP
    Sauber has got another sponsor!

Certina watches join Sauber
    A new Swiss partner for Sauber

Sauber Petronas has entered into a partnership agreement with the Swiss sport watch brand, Certina who become an ‘official partner’ and will receive a number of marketing services in return for this commitment, including worldwide visibility for the brand and use of the various event and hospitality platforms available from Sauber Petronas.

“Certina and Sauber Petronas - these are two brands that ideally fit together,” Peter Sauber said. “Gaining a Swiss company as a partner is always something very special for me.”

Adrian Bosshard, President of Certina, sees extremely positive prospects for this partnership. "Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport, reaching out to sporty audiences around the world. Team Sauber Petronas and Certina share the same attributes: precision, reliability, high-tech and dynamism. This fact combined with the high popularity and support enjoyed by Sauber Petronas speak for this partnership. What's more, both companies have Swiss roots and are active in a highly competitive international environment."

Certina, the sport watch brand of the Swatch Group, has been practising the art of watch-making since 1888. As part of this collaboration Certina will also equip all team members with their timepieces.

E.A.
    Source Sauber Petronas
    My cousin in Germany e-mailed me saying all over TV there BMW has been going on and on about Heinfeld joining Mark Webber for 2005 as the 2nd driver! But nothing is 100% yet!!!!

Race driver or test driver?
    Heidfeld set to join Williams

Nick Heidfeld will be with BMW Williams next season but it remains to be seen whether this is as race driver or test driver. Reports suggest that a deal, worth three million Euros, will see Heidfeld race alongside Mark Webber with Antonio Pizzonia taking the testing role.

It had been suggested that Heidfeld would join the team as the teams official test driver with Antonio Pizzonia and Webber handling the racing duties. This would appease pressures from Germany to have a German driver in the team following Ralf Schumacher’s exit from the squad.

Heidfeld will find a role with BMW Williams in 2005, but it remains to be seen what role that will be. After spells with Prost, Sauber and Jordan; Heidfeld will be relishing the chance to show his pace in a top line team.

BMW Williams are to unveil their 2005 livery and announce their driver lineup in early January with the FW27 launched at the end of the month.

Earl ALEXANDER

This made me laugh!
    ''Ralf drives like a woman''
    At least that's what his wife says...

Ralf Schumacher drives in the city 'like a woman', at least that's what his wife said in a German television programme.

The new Toyota driver is not too much at ease when it comes time to park the car in the city. "He had many small accidents," said Cora Schumacher. "Especially when he gets in or out of a parking space. Ralf is creating the kind of accidents that we usually associate with women."

One example: Ralf had to trade his BMW road car for a Toyota - for obvious contractual reasons - and already had his first 'involuntary contact' while trying to park. "Ralf was waiting for the 'beep' that was supposed to warn him that he was close enough to the car in the back but we heard another sound instead!" explained Cora.

We must add that his Toyota is not equipped with a 'Park distance control' system like on his previous car (BMW)... and Ralf is now aware of it !

Hugo GIGUERE
    © CAPSIS International

great news there jason! lol funny stuff about Ralf!
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

Disabled Array
    Car:
    FS:DC2R
    Oh man Ralf is an idiot. LOL

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Ek Civic
    Ralf is an idiot!!! You'd think that being a GP driver you could actually park...... :S

Member Array
    Car:
    -
    Anyone else here think Ralf is a tool???

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    he can be a tool yeah, and his performances are a bit inconsistent, but when he's on it he's one of the best in the field (although he's rarely that on it!).

I'm sick of all the rule changes, are they trying to kill the sport? Can't they learn anything from WRC, Citroen and Peugeot pulled out partly coz of rule changes every single year! There's even talk of changing the changes for this season before the season has even started! I think they need to let the changes sit for a bit to allow the manufacturers to build the best cars possible again. I want to see the pinnacle of auto engineering, not a stupid two make series like super taxis or IRL/CART.
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

yeh i reckon, its going very successful as it is, so why change it? I know for safety and cost cuts but really its going quiet well right now
    WDM. World Domestic Market.

Subaru y0!

The Midland group bought Jordan this week.
    In 2005 Jordan will still remain as Jordan and Eddie in charge (so they say), but after it all parts/cars etc go to the Russian/Canadian giant.

Also, the weekend before the GP in Melbourne on Sunday, You all better get your asses to the Harbour Bridge.
    Mark Webber will be driving his BMW.Williams F1 car on it

Its been confirmed and approved by the NSW Government.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2
    WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!

is anyone driving/flying down to melb for the race?

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    Wonder if the cops will pull him over and defect him?

"Mark Webber hey, surrrrre you are"
    "I am, and I swear its stock officer!"
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

theres no windscreen to put the defective sticker on thou...

stick it on the visor of his helmet LOL