Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R 1998

HELP! Exhaust Drone is driving me nuts!

Hi all

Need your advice and input.....

I have a 98 Integra VTI-R which Im now in the process of upgrading the entire exhaust system. Mods so far are:

Xforce Headers
    Simota Intake & Pod
    Custom Mandrel-bent 2.25" piping
    HSV Performance Catalytic Converter
    Walker Resonator
    Xforce S10 2.25" Twin Loop Muffler

The system has upped power quite nicely and the car feels very responsive and sounds beautiful when its spinning above 3500rpm or so...but down in the lower rev ranges, i just can't seem to get rid of the drone of the exhaust note. Now that the system has been in place for a few weeks, i think its getting louder and drone-ier!

Does anyone have a solution for me........im going nuts with this! I definitely dont want a droney sound down low, just a nice smooth sound which is not too deep.

Im convinced the problem is from the muffler.....does anyone have any other suggestions for a quiet performance muffler?

Ive been reading good things about the RSR EXMAG exhaust (www.rsr.com) and also the genuine Mugen Twin Loop system, but these would be costly and Im not sure if they would in fact cure the problem!

Im almost at the point where I'll put the OE Muffler back on as a last resort....but I would really prefer not to have to do that!

Hoping someone can help me solve this problem!

Zac
    (Adelaide)

Aren't the twin loop styled mufflers some of the quietest around already?

You've already got a twin-loop... Maybe try adding another resonator in there. I've got 2 19" long coby resonators infront of my twin-loop end muffler (TRR Brand).

Disabled Array
    Car:
    FS:DC2R
    I have 2.5 inch piping with 2.5 inlet for my twin loop, One hot dog, connect to hks 4-1 header. I understand what you saying at high end it has a nice quiet note but at lower end it sounds drowny. Thats if you mean kind of a deeper note. I believe thats the way the loop was design. In the end its not that loud compare to any mufflers I know. Its not defectable and it sounds very nice. Nice low pitch note but not loud.

you are complainong of drone in a car with sound deadening?? hahahaha you soft man... j/k

anyway on a serious note, another resonator is going to restrict your flow, if i were you i would take the other resonator out... so you have one cat, one muffler and take out the walker resonator... imo this will solve your low rev drone problem... but guess what your car is going to be LOUDER at WOT.... trade off...

Disabled Array
    Car:
    Honestly I can't see whats wrong with the sound really. The note is perfect. If anything I wouldn't mind it a bit louder. As for putting in another hot dog it defeats the purpose of buying a twin loop in the first place. MAX power less DB. Putting in another res ur goin to restrict it.

is yr exhaust system under axel or in stock position?

Disabled Array
    Car:
    I'm using buddy club spec II 2.5 cat back to the axle. From the axle i got it custom made and bent to stock and connect to muffler.

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD
    add another resonator.. shouldnt affect performance.. i added a 2nd one. and reduces the rumbles... and drone when u down gear etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    Nil
    i got an xforce muffler on my car, the silencer makes a big difference - just put it in the muffler with one small screw

reduces sound and the droney part quite well

Member Array
    Car:
    EKD
    the silencer actualli changes the tone of ur exhaust tho... which some people wont like

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R 1998
    Hi all

Thanks for your responses.....

The XForce muffler i have is the S10 - which is the mugen replica one and it doesnt have the silencer insert.

I had tried a Xforce S12 (which does have the silencer) on my car as well prior to this and it sounded very tinny with the silencer in.....and rather loud and droney without.

Im keen to find out if anyone has other mufflers or systems - such as RSR EXMAG, Genuine Mugen Twin Loop, or even any other muffler?

By the way, yesterday i found an article about resetting the ECU everytime you mod your car so it reconfigures with the changes you have made....not sure if its done anything to the sound...may have smoothed it a bit!

Zac