Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1

Track preparation advice

Im going to wakefield park on the 30th June for the first time and I am really excitied, hoping to get some advice from experienced people on the following:

PS => will be tracking a FN2R with 31 XXXkms

* My last oil change was done 4000-5000kms ago using Honda oil, can I still go to track with this oil or should I do an oil change before? My next service is due soon so I was hoping I could get away with doing the service after....

* IF i do change oil, is using Castrol Edge 5W30 suitable?

* How do street tyres hold up in track? I have Potenza RE001's atm

* Still using stock brake pads, is it necessary to bleed and change brake fluid & MTF?

Or should I just go as is and do a service after the track?

* I don't have an oil temp gauge, how many laps can i safely run without overheating.

Thanks guys, any help will be greatly appreciated, it would also be good if you could add in some tips as this is my first time, but i look forward to it

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jyh888 View Post
    Im going to wakefield park on the 30th June for the first time and I am really excitied, hoping to get some advice from experienced people on the following:

PS => will be tracking a FN2R with 31 XXXkms

* My last oil change was done 4000-5000kms ago using Honda oil, can I still go to track with this oil or should I do an oil change before? My next service is due soon so I was hoping I could get away with doing the service after....
    Since it is Honda FEO, I'd change it before the track day and then get the car serviced after the track day.

Yes, it is suitable.

Depends on how you drive on track. If you overspeed into corners and understeer because you entered too fast, then you will wear out the shoulders. I recommend you pump up to about 40psi before you go on the track.

* Still using stock brake pads, is it necessary to bleed and change brake fluid & MTF?
    Change the brake fluid and MTF after the track day. Not sure how the stock pads will hold up. My stock ones were roasted after one track day.

Service after, but get the engine oil changed before trackday, because you have only FEO.

* I don't have an oil temp gauge, how many laps can i safely run without overheating.
    I recommend you do one warm up lap, then 2-3 hot laps before a cool down lap. Repeat if desired. Don't keep pushing the car on hot laps non stop throughout one session. To cool the coolant/oil quicker, turn on the heater at full blast and full heat. When stopped, don't use the handbrake because the rotors will be hot! Place a brick behind a wheel to stop the car from rolling instead.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Thanks aaron, isnt running 40psi too high? Doesn't the air pressure expand as heat rises? And should I be running more psi in the front or rears for a FWD?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A

I would change it prior heading out to the track.

Full synthetic range? if so more then fine.

Street tyres are more then fine for track. They tend to like higher pressure to reduce tyre wall roll. ~38-40psi HOT

Most likely to cook the brakes. Be careful later in the day for brake fade. If you boil the fluid you'll need to bleed the system. I recommend Castrol DOT 4 (silver bottles) about $10 for 250ml bottle. I used it on the time attack civic.

Do 3 hot laps then followed by 1-2 cool down laps(60-80% pace). I generally like to turn the heater on max when on the track. Helps cool down the system quicker.

Thanks guys, any help will be greatly appreciated, it would also be good if you could add in some tips as this is my first time, but i look forward to it

Go out and have fun. Drive to your limits, and remember you have to drive it home. Towing cost about $500-$600 from Wakefield to Sydney metro.
    ^^^^^^^

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Thx jimmy appreciate your advice! I'll give it a shot.

When you guys refer to turning the heater on, is this while driving or only on cool down lap?
    Last edited by jyh888; 27-06-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Thanks aaron, isnt running 40psi too high? Doesn't the air pressure expand as heat rises? And should I be running more psi in the front or rears for a FWD?
    I've tried 33-35 psi and that wore the shoulders out. Going with 40psi reduces the grip a little bit but doesn't wear the shoulders out in 1-2 sessions.

I used 40 psi all round when the tyre was warm. It is up to you depending on your car's handling characteristics on the track to decide whether you want more pressure in the front or the rear. I'd just go out with 40 psi and adjust it for the second session based on what you found in the first session.

BTW, when you come down the hill, there is a quick right turn before the sweeping left into the fish hook. At the start of that quick right turn, be careful of the left shoulder. It is about a 10cm drop from the ripple strip to the ground. If you let your tyre go down to the ground there, you can flip your car. It's at just about 0:42-0:43 in this video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBnevchfGg
    Last edited by aaronng; 27-06-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I've tried 33-35 psi and that wore the shoulders out. Going with 40psi reduces the grip a little bit but doesn't wear the shoulders out in 1-2 sessions.

I used 40 psi all round when the tyre was warm. It is up to you depending on your car's handling characteristics on the track to decide whether you want more pressure in the front or the rear. I'd just go out with 40 psi and adjust it for the second session based on what you found in the first session.

BTW, when you come down the hill, there is a quick right turn before the sweeping left into the fish hook. At the start of that quick right turn, be careful of the left shoulder. It is about a 10cm drop from the ripple strip to the ground. If you let your tyre go down to the ground there, you can flip your car. It's at just about 0:42-0:43 in this video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBnevchfGg
    Yea i guess ill bring a tyre pressure gauge and see how i go. Nevertheless, thanks for the tips! Another question about braking....i know my stock brakes are most likely going to fade...as i have already orded some pads but wont be delivered in time for track...if i just upgrade brake fluid like the one fatboyz recommended will that improve my braking ability?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    Thx jimmy appreciate your advice! I'll give it a shot.

When you guys refer to turning the heater on, is this while driving or only on cool down lap?
    Just keep it on at all times. Extra aid in cooling is better then noting.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboyz39 View Post
    Just keep it on at all times. Extra aid in cooling is better then noting.
    LOL u guys must be boiling then!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Wow, good read so far, me and a few guys are planning on hitting wakefield mid July, will also be our first time. Any more reccomendations in regards to not having any issues and being able to actaully drive the car safely home?

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    How often do you guys change MTF when you track your car? My gearbox feels very notchy at times ao far have nearly 32,000kms. Should I be changing fluid before or after?

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    you don't notice it once your out there, wind down the windows.
    depending who you are going out with see if you can get someone who's driven the track to get in the passanger seat to give u a few tips.

LOL u guys must be boiling then!
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION