Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic

Confused and need assistance - suspension questions

Hi all ,

I know that the topic of suspension has been covered in many many threads (I have searched and I think that I have read almost all of them) and after speaking to a few 'professionals' I am more confused about suspension than before I began.

1. What is the difference between springs, coilovers, shocks, dampners and all of the rest of those things that I am told that I do or do not need???

I am driving an ek and want to lower my ride about 1.5-2 inches. I would like to retain some sort of ride quality, perhaps something like the stock ride feeling. Other than that I am not particularly sure of what else I want out of my suspension/springs etc.

2. Regarding the above would suggest only putting in springs? or springs and shocks? What are the benefits of one over the other? I was told by a 'professional' at Pedders that all I would need was springs while a guy that I spoke to at Honda said upgrade springs and shocks?

In terms of budget I am simply better of spending $400 and getting springs or spending four times as much and get the works??? What are the long term differences between the two???

Very confused as you can probably see. Thanks for bearing with my all of questions and hopefully you guys can put me straight.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Zdster; 25-12-2004 at 04:02 PM.

if you want to just lower your car get some springs, the ride should stay smooth. I'm using pedders springs and they are great! nice and stiff but not over the top. Don't know if you would need shocks as well.. OEMs should do

Member Array
    Car:
    ED gl saloon
    regarding only using springs, its not the best idea. if you are lowering your car 40-50mm then your stock shocks (OEM) will only bottom out on every bump on the road. for $1100 you can get a full top-of-the-line eibach sport spring and koni yellow setup. on the other hand, you can get a king spring and koni red setup for about $800..

if you are only using your car on the street, you dont want coilovers.

go for springs and shocks. you will thank yourself later for doing it right the first time.

Car:
    Civic
    Thanks for the responses guys.

From what I understand I am much better going with a set of springs and shocks? What is the difference between springs/shocks and coilovers?

Also what is the difference between eibach sport spring and koni yellow vs king spring and koni red besides $300??? Are cheaper springs all that much worse than more expensive springs???

Car:
    Civic
    Bump . . . can anyone help???

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Koni Yellow is height and damper adjustable, where the Koni Red is JUST damper adjustable? (I think )

I've got Koni Yellows and Kings on my EK and I love em.

**Im not 100% if this is accurate - someone pls verify **

Car:
    Civic
    Thanks for your help Z, mytoycivic and Kawasaki.
    Why do you need height adjustable shocks? Isn't the height determined by the springs (hence the reason for buying lowering springs but keeping stock shocks)?

So from what I understand I am better going stocks and springs???
    Quality wise, what do you get for your extra cash if you spend more on each of these items?

Anyone else got any input and able to give me a hand?????

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    Coil overs allow you to adjust the height of your shocks and dampering (the good ones do). Main reason is cos they allow you to setup for a track. But you are looking for at least $2-3k for these.

Standard shocks only allow max (the adjustable type) to adjust the hardness of the shock or dampering. There is no height adjustment.

From what i remember the koni reds are just standard shocks with better than normal handling and dampering. Koni yellows are the sports type which have slightly better handling. There are adjustable konis also which are adjustable in stiffness, i use to have these in my old car.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    So if i can score myself a set of Tein SS coil overs for around $1200 i should just get that over the eibach sport spring and koni yellow for $1100. What do you guys think????

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    Teins are very harsh I’ve heard. Great for Jap roads but our roads suck. The great thing about the Eibach and Koni yellows is you can pick your spring rates. This means you can get softer springs that won’t be as hash and more suited for Australian roads. Only downside is there isn’t as much hight adjustment in them.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    *sigh*... There are many goals and aims for each individual and their ride, even more variables, and yet again more people on line that will be willing to spend half a minute typing up a post that will serve to confuse you even further.

Perhaps Zdster, if you would like to outline in more depth your goals and requirements for your new suspension?
    You have already described the height drop you're aiming for. You have also stated you wish to retain close to stock ride comfort. Are you aiming for your car to handle well on the road/circuit, or merely cruise and look good/low?

Outlining and evaluating these goals will enable you to pick the right application for your EK, without spending in excess and wasting your money, nor picking the wrong suspension items and being unhappy.

I believe Koni Reds are not damper nor height adjustable.

In regards to the question about Koni Yellow vs Koni Red (+ springs) package, the difference is basically the pricing, and the ability to height and damper adjust.

Speak to someone with suspension knowledge, like McChook (Matt), on these forums.

And btw, from personal experience, don't even waste your time talking to most Pedders staff...

koni shocks

if i was to do track work, is KING LOW springs, with KONI yellow a good setup!?
    cos when i do cornering, i can feel my car totally tilting...
    not a good sign on a track.