Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT

Stop thief! Cheap DIY Car Tracking Option

After reading about the number of Hondas stolen recently - you guys may be interested in this.

If you have a Telstra network phone you can track where your car is for 55 cents per location check.

It is called "Whereis everyone". To set up it sends an SMS to the other phone. If they agree to the tracking you can continue to see where the other phone is on a sensis map for 55 cents. It is surprisingly accurate! Try it yourself.

I have found it finds others to within a street away - and it shows a pin point on the map where it calculates the phone to be.

I think it is more designed for teenie boppers to find each other when they go nightclubbing but it is also a very cheap car tracking option!

How? Put an old mobile phone in your car with a cheap $5 plan etc - (leave it on all the time) and if the car is stolen you can find your car! (well its approximate location - but like I said it narrows it down to within a street or two on a map). Sometimes better - it finds my house to about 50 metres.

Not as good as sat nav tracking devices but it is better than nothing and ghetto cheap!

The phone you are using to view the maps obviously needs to be good enough to access mobile internet but the phone you are tracking can be old school 10 years old - it doesn't matter at the tracked end.

Just be warned - if you do see your car outside some crook's house - go to the police - don't confront the thief yourself..

http://whereismobile.com.au/

http://whereismobile.com/features.php

Last edited by yfin; 07-10-2007 at 09:48 AM.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    sounds pretty good....

too bad i aint with telstra tho

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    95 Civic EK
    Just a couple questions with this. Does the phone you are trying to find have to send an sms back to accept the tracking request? Or can you set it up so it accepts automatically every time. Plus it would get rather difficult to keep the phone charged all the time, but I guess you could only use it for when you are leaving your car out somewhere.

Banned Array
    Car:
    EH9
    i would reppoint if i could, coz thats a mad idea man

Member Array
    Car:
    CBR600RR
    does the tracker need to be on telstra network too? I'm not with telstra, but wont mind having a cheap prepaid just for the purpose...

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by yurka View Post
    Just a couple questions with this. Does the phone you are trying to find have to send an sms back to accept the tracking request? Or can you set it up so it accepts automatically every time. Plus it would get rather difficult to keep the phone charged all the time, but I guess you could only use it for when you are leaving your car out somewhere.
    The phone being tracked receives an SMS and they confirm they want to be tracked in the future. I will test it later on my girlfriends phone as I am sure it is a one off thing and if you want to change your privacy settings (ie "visibility") the person tracked needs to go to the link at the SMS.

And yep you need to keep the phone running and charged. But standby doesn't use much power- I have an old Nokia from years ago that still lasts 5-7 days on standby and it is really old. The newer phones with more features don't last as long.

Quote Originally Posted by D4rk4n63l View Post
    does the tracker need to be on telstra network too? I'm not with telstra, but wont mind having a cheap prepaid just for the purpose...
    hmm I am pretty sure both phones need to be on Telstra network
    Last edited by yfin; 07-10-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    check out this if you want to see a video of it working

http://www.locatrix.com/pages/posts/...ustralia11.php

isnt really DIY at all ~ ok idea but.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra dc-02
    holy shit this is an aweseom idea....
    i could see it now,
    1) car gets stolen
    2) Car confirmed found via tracking
    3) ????
    4) Winnar!!!!

damm telstra only option...when will optus open their eyes!!!

Sounds like a nice way to keep track, just make sure you hide the phone somewhere from visibility but easy to get it to recharge.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra dc-02
    i've still got my nokia 5110...those were great phones back in their time...with fully charge, playing snake all day it could last a couple of weeks

Member Array
    Car:
    Beautiful facelift EJ8!
    thats hektic!! do ma! tell optus to start this ! lol