Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S

Lightbulb DC5 Type R/ Type S Modification Review

Hey Guys!! Just wanted to start a thread on what mods people have done to their DC5 Type R's and Type S's. Just a quick review on what modifications you have in your DC5 Integra and what everyone's opinions are on them. Hope this can become our DC5 bible on OZHONDA!
    Here, ill start first!!

Car: 2006 Integra Type S
    Vtec Engagement Window: 5800rpm - 8500rpm
    MOD1: HPS Short Ram Intake
    Country of Origin: USA
    Approx Price: 250 AUD (posted)
    Pro's: Reasonable price for an off the shelf SRI.
    Really brings out the i-Vtec crossover you get with the B-series engines.
    Slight power gains in vtec zone.
    Better throttle response.

Con's: Heat Soak (same issue with all SRI's).
    Slightly flimsy feeling, the bolt that holds the pipe to the engine is not quite perfect, so had
    to do some slight changes to get it fixed on properly.

MOD2: Fusion Headunit (internal iPod docking)
    Country of origin: New Zealand
    Price: 99 AUD from Repco on special (RRP$299)
    Pro's: Very convenient.
    Great iPod User Interface on Headunit.
    Charges iPod while playing.
    Sounds Great!
    Con's: Havent found any yet, will update if i find out.

MOD3: Genuine MUGEN cat-back exhaust system
    Country of origin: Japan
    Approximate Price: 1800 AUD (brand new)
    Pro's: Not too loud.
    Nice drone, acceptable but not annoying.
    Increased mid end power and torque.
    Cops dont even notice i have an aftermarket exhaust system on my car
    Silent when you're just commuting, Loud when you're racing!
    Perfect fit, no dramas at all.
    Con's: Not much notable gains in VTEC zone.
    Not quite as loud as other systems (e.g. Fujitsubo RM-01A), noticed that the SRI + Engine noise
    was still overwhelming the sound of the exhaust.
    Stock is 2" piping, Mugen is 2.15"

Hope this thread will help give all DC5 owners a slight idea of the variety of brands for our car around the world. And also a rough idea of what they will be expecting from different brands and products.

Have a great day!

DC5-S

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    you have a Type-S ? congratulations!, thats already a finely tuned street car.

Heatsoaks arent really an issue with SRI's. There are threads here about CAI vs SRI.
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra type S
    ive done a rear muffler swap with xforce cannon. i ended up losing torque in the bottom end

Yeah righto im bored lol

Car: 2002 DC5R
    Mods:
    -Buddy Club race header
    -J's Racing 60RS catback exhaust
    -ORC single plate clutch with light flywheel
    -Hasport 60a billet engine mounts
    -Buddy Club N+ coilovers
    -Buddy Club adjustable rear camber arms
    -Whiteline rear sway bar
    -Mugen cold air intake
    -Cusco type OS front + rear strut braces
    -Nardi deep corn steering wheel with NRG short hub adapter + NRG quick release hub
    -Hondata K-Pro ECU, tuned to 145kw at the front wheels

Cost: something ridiculous, not game to add it up

Future mods:
    -JUN camshaft upgrade
    -RBC intake manifold with larger throttle body
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    ^^ take me for a spin i want to see what the ORC and good tune feels like Also how do you like the NRG Hub products?

as for me:

Stevan
    DC5-S
    - CRSX Header
    - GruppeM intake
    - Fuji Powergetter

Review: these three components give a lovely deep tone with a high distinction during Vtec Crossover without any raspiness whatsoever. According to Dyno runs they have added somewhere around 8kwatw to my untuned motor with the potential for a lot more. Car is running rich with this setup.

- Innovative 60A mounts

Review: Replaced my torn OEM ones, much more direct control of the car with no laginess in braking and acceleration/clutch work. Dont even notice the Vibration anymore but there was an increase in cabin noise from the engine.

- AST 5100 Monotube Dampers

Review: Ill let you know when i finally get my new rear dampers fml

- Exedy HD clutch, Wavetrac LSD, JDM flywheel

Review: HD clutch is a little firmer then stock with a bit more aggressiveness in bite, JDM flywheel makes revv matching lots of fun and the car feels more rev happy with it considering its about 2kg lighter then the standard one. Wavetrac LSD is the best thing i have spent money on so far, exponentially more grip in cornering, i know know what carrying some exit speed feels like . Operation is completely silent and OEM maintenance.

- Enkei RPF1 with Dunlop Direzza Z1 star specs

Review: light, cheap great looking wheels, tyres are also leagues above Re001, they are getting quite worn though after about 8 months so the wear isnt the best, its hard to go back to harder tyres after becoming used to the performance. Wet grip is the best in a tyre i have seen and they have a great stiff sidewall for predictable turn in.

- Hardrace RCA, PCI offset bearings, Buddyclub camber rear arms

Review: PCI has the only real affect to the feel of the car, the front is a hell of a lot stiffer and holds its alignment much better during hard cornering. More harshness from bumps is felt t hough as there is no longer any compliance in the LCA assembly.

Mods yet to arrive:
    - SWIFT springs
    - Sparco fixed back seat W low rails

Cost: >$12k not including labour

Favourite mod: LSD, don't leave home without it
    Last edited by stevanbonic; 22-06-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Ive paid for them, the short hub is here but the quick release is still on its way from the states. Should be here in the next few days though, ill post some pics when theyre on the car. The quality looks good, I just figured you pay twice as much for an equivalent Works Bell part, and i hardly ever track my car so couldnt justify the price. Wish i hadve gone the Gruppe M back when i was looking at intakes

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuci View Post
    Ive paid for them, the short hub is here but the quick release is still on its way from the states. Should be here in the next few days though, ill post some pics when theyre on the car. The quality looks good, I just figured you pay twice as much for an equivalent Works Bell part, and i hardly ever track my car so couldnt justify the price. Wish i hadve gone the Gruppe M back when i was looking at intakes
    thats true i have wanted to get the NRG kit for a while but more important expenditures always take precedence. Considering you have the Mugen intake 145kwatw is fantastic power, who did your tune? Also you should come to the CITR Annual photoshoot this weekend

Had the tune done at Hipower Racing up here in Brisbane. Where abouts is the CITR photoshoot? Sydney im guessing... damn

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Only mods I've felt that have been well worth the money are:
    - Stiffer engine mounts
    - Lightweight flywheel
    - K-pro + Tune
    - Front and rear sway bars

I've found that everything else doesn't really work to it's full potential unless you've got the above mentioned mods.

Once I've got the mods that are sitting in my cupboard/shed fitted... I'll update again.

Just a word out for you guys. How much did you end up paying for KPro-installed + tuned + reprogramming? Or did you have your ECU chipped?

My mods:
    - Mugen Sports Suspension
    - JDM Flywheel
    - FN2R Clutch

Clutch is softer than DC5 but grabs very strong. JDM Flywheel is a dream to drive with. Very free revving. Mugen Sports is nice and firm on the street. Feels like Koni/Eibach combo on my mates CL9.

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    Quote Originally Posted by munkaii View Post
    Just a word out for you guys. How much did you end up paying for KPro-installed + tuned + reprogramming? Or did you have your ECU chipped?
    Just depends if you buy new or 2nd hand and what mods you have done to the car.

You can get a 2nd hand K-pro for around $1200, for a full tune (Intake, headers, exhaust) you are looking at around $800... again this depends on the tuner.

But at a guess, the cheapest you could get away with for a tuned K-Pro is around $2k.

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuci View Post
    Had the tune done at Hipower Racing up here in Brisbane. Where abouts is the CITR photoshoot? Sydney im guessing... damn
    yeh its in Sydney, didnt know you were in Brisbane I will have to organise a meetup when i visit 45SET to do our reverse facelift swap