Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch

Input shaft bearing question

Hey guys, i done research and it turns out my input shaft bearing is what was making a noise (knocking / rattle at idle with clutch out and goes away when clutch is pressed in) and ive ripped the gearbox apart today only to find there is no play in the bearing and no visible problems with it.

i can feel its a bit "sandy" when you spin the bearing by finger unlike the other bearing at the top of the case. ive already ordered it so i might aswell swap it while i have it and the gearbox is apart but is there anything else that could cause this noise in neutral, there is also a little whine in first when driving slowly and i cant tell in any other gears if the noise goes away or stays..

any advice will be awesome because its sort of urgent i work it all out now as having time to rip the gearbox out and apart doesnt come around to much.
    FIGJAM

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic coupe Vti
    so ur clutch bearing is gone when u change it it should stop, if not will try to find another reason

just check all the bearings in the gearbox
    this is what mine looked like:

you can see a couple of ball bearings are missing...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    was clutch bearing was brand new and old owner of the box told me it wasnt that. mine loked nothing like the pic there but i replaced bearing on both ends of the input shaft..

thanks for the answers anyway guys
    FIGJAM