Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Integra

1998 GSI blowing smoke on startup

Hi ,
    I have just purchased my first car 1998 GSI 121000kms with aftermarket muffler. Unfortunately didn't get RACQ inspection.
    It is blowing smoke on startup whitish blue and some soot. No smoke when warm. The motor feels strong and smooth but I'm worried. My dad said maybe valve stem seals? is that expensive. I'm on the Gold Coast, can anyone recommend a good not too exy mechanic?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Integra
    Further to my question could the PCV valve contribute to smoking on startup?

Member Array
    Car:
    Liberty GTspecB
    White smoke - burning coolant
    White smoke with blue tinge - burning oil
    Black smoke - burning excess fuel
    I used to have a EK sedan
    psn: w-_custer_-w

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Integra
    You can smell the oil, but not when warm

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4 Integra
    first thing i would do is make sure correct oil is being used, or just do an oil change with correct oil grade or a little thicker and see how that goes.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Integra
    Thanks Benny, actually your picture looks similar to mine. Mechanic said valve stem seals at 120k would be really unusual , also said change the oil and make to use 10w40 . Would the PCV valve affect it?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Always good to do a complete service when purchasing a car. Do u know if the car has had the 100k service done? U never know what the previous owner used oil-wise n how they treated the car so first thing u should do is give the engine and gearbox a fresh shot of OEM oil and check all other fluids, replacing or topping up accordingly. The chance is, this will fix ur prob.
    Getting there...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1998 Integra
    Thanks mate, it's apparently due in another 3k but you're correct, you never know whether they have used the right stuff and no, I'm not sure if the 100k has been done. Prevoius owner purchased at auction said k's were genuine but no log books, big mistake! Should give it a complete service, when is the timing belt due?

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    every 100,000kms

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    ^^^ yup... u should be able to c if the t-belt looks thrashed (which it would if its 121xxx k's old)... also water pump should be replaced at 100xxx k's. It should be fine even if its done well over 100 but u never know when it will seize up on u, n then ur in trouble.

Best to find a good backyard mechanic to have a look over the car and make sure the 100k service has been done, i would def change the basic fluids regardless.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    A piece of shit
    Change engine ol with 10W-40, change gear box oil, brake fluid and clutch fluid.

If I were you I would do my timing belt, cam seals and water pump at the same time. Check your clutch master cylinder aswell. PCV valve is cheap and worth while replacing.

Check your drive belts for freys aswell.