Thread: Exhaust DB

Exhaust DB

How can a s2000 pass epa. I just noticed the standards exhaust read 91.4 Db ( BM test) In Vic you must pass 90 Db limit..\\

Last time I heard a Ferrari they wernt quiet either

How can that 90Db limit be inforced when standard it doesnt pass

any thoughts
    Pin It To Win It

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 S2000 and 94 prelude
    standard read 91? that cant be right? the stock exhaust is pretty quiet. I had an after market exhaust on my prelude that read 88 (it lyterally just passed) and it was a hell of alot louder than my S2k

Member Array
    Car:
    S2K
    It's at a certain RPM that it is measured....youll notice that most cars aren't that loud down low.

FWIW my old prelude was 117db....what was I thinking!

if you look at the BM video I am pretty sure they did the test to the standards used to test here. Same distance and rpm used as Vic epa
    Pin It To Win It

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Generally if you have the standard system on. They won't bother testing it. They'll visiually inspect to see if it's been tampered with.....that's about it.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 S2000 and 94 prelude
    Ive always wondered how the hell harleys pass the DB rule

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    from what i remember, bikes have a higher noise allowance because it increases other motorists' awareness of their presence.

91.4 db standard??? that would suck if i got EPA'd.

i been tested numerous times with the calais turbo that had a 3" all the way. tested 96db with the 3" added 1 muffler and got 92db and after adding 2 mufflers i passed at 88.6 db and it was very very quite.

i cld see how the S2 would fail... but then that raises the question how would the S2 meet EPA requirements in standard form ??

steel wool shld quieten it down abit

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S13
    addng mufflers or resonators? an s2000 like most cars in standard from JUST passes as soon as something like an intake has been added bye bye LOL
    FYS

My fake shit rocks!
    Winton 1:35.4
    Wakefield 1:07.87

Standard OEM S2000 exhaust will register 91-92db even from new.

There is no room, very limited space to fit an extra muffler or resonator at all on the oem exhaust to muffe the noise.

I'm also keen to know how did Honda manage to bring the car into Australia when it is above 90db level. I have spoke to a honda mechanic long time ago, I asked them, they checked and only found it odd why there was no exhaust db level, but instead they have the emission level data (which was very detailed)...they told me to check with Honda Australia. Honda Australia then ask to check with my local Honda dealer...and anyway, my question wasnt answered and didnt bother asking again.

I have read somewhere (Skyline forums) that skyline R33 oem exhaust db level is also slightly above the permitted level. All R33 are grey import anyway as opposed to australian delivered S2000s.

FYI, the S2000 RPM test level is around the 6250rpm. That is they take the engine up to 6250rpm to measure the db level. Different cars will have different rpm level. Most cars are tested at 5000rpm or less. WRXs are tested around 3250rpm.

Harley, or bike in general, they get away because there is an 'awareness' law for them.
    Last edited by tomS2KAP1; 20-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    GPW S2000
    geez... any car is going to sound loud if tested at 6250rpm -_-" and wrx's are tested at 3250rpm?? 75% rule = fail.

S2Krazy Array
    The car came to AU in 1999, long before any DB ruling.
    It also came factory with said DB reading.

Therefore rules do not apply.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...