Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB7 Rebuild

Member Array
    Car:
    R33GTS-T, 300zxTT, 93 CB7
    Yeah i was thinking about doing that. The other alloys wheels look like grandma wheels =P

I have 4 new tyres so yeah got to pick a set of rims and sell the others

Member Array
    Car:
    So the work begins =P

I apologise i really could have taken more pictures, but once you get dirty and start working you sort of forget to do so.

First things first, time to remove the parts of the whore car =P

Next, spend hours looking for just the right size piece of metal to pull from

9,500 pound winch should do it... =P and 4 blocks of wood for wheel chocks. We soon needed two extra on the nav

Countless time spend looking for another piece of metal the "perfect" size =) you can see the bottom is getting straighter. It still needed some more work but we got there in the end =P

At this point using the top support panel of the wreck car as a guide, we were able to work out how far it needed to be pulled.

By changing the position of the NAV and angle of pull we could pull each side out at different rates to get it straight.

There was a few hairy moments where your watching the seams (where it was bent) and thinking should i go one more click on the winch, scared of tearing the metal =P It was geared pretty coarsely so each click pulled at least 20mm. We worked out if you put some body weight on the cable you could bend it out that little bit extra, rather then going another squirt on the winch.

All in all for a first attempt i was pleasantly surprised with the results. Using the top support bolt holes as a guide, it soon lined up perfectly. I mean perfectly! =P

Member Array
    Car:
    DA6K20A CD5H23T
    That's ingenuity at its best, keep up the good work

Member Array
    Car:
    hahaha =P thanks mate =)

Wait till you see the measuring stick that i used for fine tuning LOL

we should of done video of the winch pulling the front out, 'hairy' doesnt do it justice...

measuring stick??? oh you mean the broom handle, yeah right...

Member Array
    Car:
    Shhh your giving away trade secretes HAHAHA

Guys welcome my mate who has been helping me with the repair =)

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    looks like your making some nice progress with this

keep up the good work

Member Array
    Car:
    Firstly guys i apologise for taking such a long time to update this thread. It's been in the back of my mind but i have been absolutely flat out.

Getting ahead of ourselves here but i could help holding up the front bar to see how it looked

Perhaps this was the problem...

New parts starting to go in

We were nervous about how well the radiator and air con cooler would fit in our newly panel beated front end... not that we doubted out truck winch method... =P

Turns out we were pretty damn close, a little bit of fine tuning and it all went in like a glove. As you can notice we found yet another perfect length piece of wood which held the bonnet up...

About time the bonnet was removed

The bent up old power steering cooler is still handing on for dear life =P

Close up of her new bits =P

New bonnet goes on... sucks about the scratch on it =(

Once again getting ahead of ourselves, everything is just sitting there

And one with the head lights sitting in there for good measure =P

Finally decide to do the power steering cooler =P

Looking good =)

I was pretty happy with the final alignment

Bonnet now latches down =)

Getting the alignment of the bonnet right and adjusting the latch for it to lock properly and in the right position was a little tricky. But it got there in the end =)

It's getting time to see if the car will start after 2 years of sitting around... =)

I know the answer, anyone want to take bets on how it went

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    2nd crank

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_1882 View Post
    Thankyou =) yeah it is a nice coloured cb7. I'll try and do another update tonight or tomorrow. What damage did your cb7 take?
    Lol sorry for the massively late reply,did not have the net for quite some time & i actually got my car with the rear steel re-enforced bar abit bent,bonnet had a small crack in the middle and on the side had abit of minor damage as well.
    All fixed thought except the tail lights which i couldn't be bothered for quite some time :P .loving the progress of the car since i last saw it !

Member Array
    Car:
    Once again guys time got away from me but I'm steadily uploading pictures. Car was fixed up a few months ago and basically sat around. I have some more time atm so I'm back on it this week, sorting out a new battery, reinstalling (i ripped it out) the head unit, soon to be washed and final pictures. Until then I'll post some more progress pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    2nd crank
    Depends what you class as a crank =P on first turn of the key nothing... i'll get to that shortly in the progress pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsbob View Post
    Lol sorry for the massively late reply,did not have the net for quite some time & i actually got my car with the rear steel re-enforced bar abit bent,bonnet had a small crack in the middle and on the side had abit of minor damage as well.
    All fixed thought except the tail lights which i couldn't be bothered for quite some time :P .loving the progress of the car since i last saw it !
    Thanks mate =) I'm pretty happy with the finish job considering it was the first time i've attempted something like this. The only disappointing thing is, the quality of the whore car... the bonnet/front bar isn't in the best condition... had it been in better condition the repair would have looked perfect. Anyway beggars can't be chooses at least it's the same paint colour right
    Last edited by Michael_1882; 13-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    So after 2 years of sitting around it's nearly at that time to see if the work so far is worth it. Will she still purr...

That coolant may just come in handy

I also decided to give her an oil change before cranking it over.

Freshly oiled up =P

So the time came, i was all excited. Put the dodgy old battery back in that had been on trickle charge for a few days, hooked the Nav up to it with jumper leads (the battery really was that shit) turned the key and NOTHING....

Getting no power through with jumper leads connected was strange... there had to be some electrical problem, it must have happened in the crash. I checked out the old bonnet, the way it had been bent it must have touched the battery terminals you could even see were it arced. So where to start looking... hopefully it's just a fuse.

Thank you ozhonda

When you don't know your way that well around a honda it was quicker to search the fuse on the forum.

Getting warmer

Well that makes sense that the fuse would be here, but you just never know. I wouldn't be surprised if a forum member said "up under the steering collum, right where you can't reach, there is a little module, check that" LOL

The culprit

I thought "Shit where am i going to find a big mofo fuse like this on a Sunday" .... then i remembered the whore car was sitting right there for our spare part needs.

Now we have power! Cranked the engine over a few times to get the oil moving around before starting it up properly. When it came time to start after a few cranks nothing... it didn't sound like it was firing... it wouldn't start.

Back to the basics...
    -Spark
    -Fuel

Pulled a spark plug from the other car, plugged it and cranked the car... yep she definitely has spark. That leaves only fuel.

Now I'm not sure exactly what happened here, if anyone has an explination i'd love to hear it. We pulled the injector rail off and in the procsess fuel came pissing out. It was obviously pressurised so fuel was being pumped from the tank however didn't seem to be making it in. Flying bind we figure we would pull and injector and see if it was dry on the other side... yep it seemed a little dry... then again we didn't know exactly what it should look like.

We put it all back together knowing fuel is at least making it that far and next thing we knew it started up. It sounded perfect, you would have never thought the car had sat around for two years, the engine just purred =)

We now have a running car... most the mechanical stuff was done.. Back to cosmetic bits and pieces.
    Last edited by Michael_1882; 13-01-2011 at 08:18 PM.