Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Any thoughts on mugen SS as replacement suspension? same design as stock and not much firmer than stock in terms of spring rates, lowers the car only 1 inch so you get a nicer look but avoid the geometry woes that need correcting when lowering the DC5 chassis. Also, its not a "coilover" setup (actually it is, but in the same way the stock suspension is a coilover design) with potential noisy bearings and 8-12k spring rates. I am considering this as my replacemet to retain the stock feel but lower the car a bit. Any comments from people using this suspension?

What's the price for Mugen SS?

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    same price as coilovers 1800 plus new
    good luck finding 2nd hand

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    @Nighthawk_S: You're car is a DC5S i assume and Anthony's is a DC5R and recommending a Mugen SS...wouldnt both of your cars have different spring and damper rates, height, overall geometry setup and mounting points on a DC5S and R chassis ?
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Integra DC5 type-S
    geometry setup = same
    a few very small differences in the stock sussy between R/05 S but can pretty much be considered the same.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowiez View Post
    geometry setup = same
    a few very small differences in the stock sussy between R/05 S but can pretty much be considered the same.
    Hmmm, im surprise how much you know your Type-S, is that your car on your profile pic?, an 05 DC5S?. LoL.....have you had a look at the front suspension specs of the upgraded 05 Type-S compared to the 02-04 Type-R in Australia. Geometry setup isnt the same buddy, Type-S has a symmetrically-wound springs.
    Last edited by EVLGTR; 18-07-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Do symmetrically wound springs effect the geometry of the suspension? It was done "for more consistent steering feel" or some such, (Yes, i've read the wikipedia page also). There are also two different versions of mugen SS for sale, one to suit the 05-06 DC5, maybe it takes the springs into account. Seeing as the mugen SS is sold as a replacement for stock JDM type-R suspension, I think it would be just fine for an AUDM type-R. And yes, it costs alot @ $1800, which leads most ppl to buy coilovers like buddyclubs etc. at roughly the same cost with full adjustability.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Integra DC5 type-S
    Quote Originally Posted by EVLGTR View Post
    Hmmm, im surprise how much you know your Type-S, is that your car on your profile pic?, an 05 DC5S?. LoL.....have you had a look at the front suspension specs of the upgraded 05 Type-S compared to the 02-04 Type-R in Australia. Geometry setup isnt the same buddy, Type-S has a symmetrically-wound springs.
    Yeah that's my car.
    I have seen (in person, not on the internet or wikipedia) and worked with and around my front suspension layout many times.
    Before you say geometry setup isn't the same, lets make sure its clear what geometry setup is.

On the DC5 at the fronts the layout is based on a mcpherson strut and that is what the 'suspension geometry' is based on, and as a result the location of the tierods, steering arm, LCA, where the strut brace connects, and everything else is located is where it is.
    To wonder if the suspension geometry is the same on both type-R/S ask yourself is a type-R a DC5, and is a type-S a DC5, rather than question a small change in the design in the spring (which is one suspension component not geometry)

Whether the spring is symmetrically wound up, progressively wound up or whatever doesnt affect the location of all those parts listed above. So OEM and aftermarket coilovers/spring+dampener/struts are interchangable between both cars and therefore in this case whether how stock type-S spring is wound up doesnt affect the OPs decision choice to take Nighthawk's suggestion of mugen SS
    Between stock sussy in R and S, strut and shocks = same, springs = slightly different. but both will fit in the opposite car, and the performance/effects/installation of aftermarket components is also identical. This can be said for the fronts, and the rears

so buddy, will stand by original statement

Quote Originally Posted by Lowiez View Post
    geometry setup = same

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk_S View Post
    Do symmetrically wound springs effect the geometry of the suspension? It was done "for more consistent steering feel" or some such, (Yes, i've read the wikipedia page also). There are also two different versions of mugen SS for sale, one to suit the 05-06 DC5, maybe it takes the springs into account. Seeing as the mugen SS is sold as a replacement for stock JDM type-R suspension, I think it would be just fine for an AUDM type-R. And yes, it costs alot @ $1800, which leads most ppl to buy coilovers like buddyclubs etc. at roughly the same cost with full adjustability.
    Correct does not affect geometry suspension, and it does sound like a wikipedia special.

In regards the different packages for mugen SS...the difference is most likely the same product and as you're aware, with differing levels of adjustment. The differences in packages is probably just two set ups of the same product, to reach what they recommend.

For my tein flex, that is the case. refer here
    You can see for the Acura RSX
    part number 02-04 = DSA28-6USS1
    part number 05-06 = DSA28-6USS1
    Price is also the same.

$1800 isnt 'too' steep for proper coilovers... at that price range you'll be looking at entry level stuff. It gets much more fun and pricey

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Ok, I got off my arse and checked, from the mugen website, two variations of Mugen SS. http://www.mugen-power.com/automobile/archive/integra/

01-04.
    Stock JDM DC5R spring rates: F 3.7k R 7.4k (I am led to believe the AUDM DC5R should be close enough as makes no difference)
    Mugen SS spring rates P/no. 50000-XK5-K0S0: F 5.0k R 8.2k

05-06.
    Stock JDM DC5R spring rates: F 4.6k R 8.5k
    Mugen SS spring rates P/no. 50000-XK5-K1S0: F 4.9k R 8.5k

AUDM DC5S is softer than all of the above i think? but not by much.

Both packages only lower 15mm over stock height JDM ride height (Not 1 inch as i said previously).

Looks like this, just like stock, no adjustment possible.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Integra DC5 type-S
    Not sure on the difference between the two models of mugen SS you've outlined besides the small variance in spring rates.
    But my bet is that either one would fit either car as suspension on all DC5 are interchangable

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTI
    Yeah, I agree, both versions should fit.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    @Lowiez: LOL! i dont know you're definition of "geometry" but last time i checked it takes areas, volume, length, size, positioning and shape into account

Volume = the spring/damper rates are increased on the S, thickness of struts..etc
    Lenght = S is 7mm lower in ride height
    Area and size = very similar
    Positioning = the front strut bar, which is part of the setup has more mounting points to an R
    Shape = symmetrically wounded springs on S

Heres a question: Would you replace your stock front suspension setup on your Type-S to a Audm Type-R and tell me you wont feel any difference?

...all these are just small differences from an R to an S?.. LOL. Good on you for standing by on what you have to say, end of the day it is your opinion

Hope that helps you understand a bit more of what i meant.