Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

Low idle when tapping accel pedal.

Hi all,

I have a strange issue with my stock DC2 VTi-R. I've been doing a bit of research into the issue I have but nothing really seems to match the problem I have.

So, the problem. When my car is nice and warm and the idle RPM's are 'normal' I rev the engine to give over 1K and release the accelerator pedal. As the revs return to idle they drop to below idle and then restore. This causes my headlight to dim and the sensation a stall might occur.

My initial thought was the battery as I've had this problem with my old 1990 2.0Si Prelude however the battery is fairly new and I had to tested on Sunday. The Voltage reading was 12.99 Volts. I then started looking into common problems with the IAC Valve but this doesn't really match what I'm finding to be the case with my car.

As anyone else experienced such a thing? I haven't really had much time to look into things more closely so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

hey bud,

i don't have any experience with hondas specifically, and i am no mechanic, however, with my mazda 626 i had a similar problem, the alternator could be playing up or it could possibly be a spark problem ie coilpacks or soiled spark plugs as they are common problems in older jap cars.

hope that helps, all the best with it,

danny

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Hey,

Thanks for your info!

I had a little poke around the battery and alternator and tighten the grounding straps, and gave it a really good run and it seems to be OK now.

Cheers!

all good man, generally if it's blocked or partly blocked plugs, a good spirited drive will clear them right out, if it does come back after a while, perhaps change over your spark plugs

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    what sort of battery test did you do? volt test isnt always enough

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    It was only a battery voltage test that was done. Are there other tests you can suggest?

Cheers