Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sumoto 250RR

Sumoto 250RR

Hey guys

Buying a bike soon, was looking at sumoto but I really don't know at this point. Anyone know the deal with this place? legit? I'm not going to get it and a week later the motor is going to fall out? What should I look for when/if I go to have a look at this place.

http://www.sumoto.com.au/

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    sumoto is shit dont even bother looking there. your best luck for a 250rr is getting lucky from a private seller who actually took care of there bike, i sold my 250rr just over a month ago for 2.5k and not one thing was wrong with it as i needed quick cash.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wez_R View Post
    sumoto is shit dont even bother looking there. your best luck for a 250rr is getting lucky from a private seller who actually took care of there bike, i sold my 250rr just over a month ago for 2.5k and not one thing was wrong with it as i needed quick cash.
    perfect advice here.

when I first went to look for a bike a few years back, I stopped by sumoto and they wanted I think 8-9k for an 89-91 model and if you wanted the 'cool tiger' kit for an extra 2k...

whereas you could find a 96cbr250rr from a private seller with 09-10 kit for around 6k.

Is it just the price that is shit or is the bike itself ****ed up?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    the price

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    and on every cbr250 the clock was been put back every one of them bikes has done over 100k easy and they put the clocks back when all imported from jap

...ZzzzZzzz Array
    Car:
    Pushbike...
    I dont like the fact most of the bikes they sell are Tyga kitted - prob means they buy them trashed from overseas and fix them here... a search on Google will tell you a lot about their reputation as a dealership as well...
    -------------------------------------------

FFFFffffuuuuuuux999

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Also they don't have the bikes in stock for immediate delivery. That's what turned me away. Once you made a purchase then they would import it meaning you can't try before you buy.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    every cbr250 is made to be thrashed and has been thrashed my battery went flat when i went on a long ride because i was just cruising then i called up a place and there like you have to thrash them now and then to keep them going

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 CRX
    Mate there's been some good information thus far..
    Sumoto seem to have very tidy bikes, however they charge ridiculous money for them.
    FACT- 90% of all 250cc bikes have been in some form of accident, they're learner bikes and people learn hard on bikes. This means some of these import bikes with all new fairings and things may have been in decent accidents.
    It's hard to find any cbrs that haven't had new paint and things due to the age and the high crash rate so it really is a luck of the draw situation. Sumoto and other places will buy containers of wrecked bikes and just take the good parts off each to make one bike.

I think you're safer finding an honest seller who's owned their bike for a decent period of time.

The other thing is when you buy from Sumoto or similar and pay 9k for a 15year old 250 you are paying what they costed new. It's like being hit with the depreciation you'd normally get when you buy a new bike or car and yet you don't get the piece of mind as a trade off as they're still an old bike... You will pay 9k for one but if you want to sell it tomorrow you'll not get more than 6 for it...

Don't waste massive money on your first bike, chances are you'll put it down.. Hopefully softly.

Buy a cheap bike, you can get a good 250 for 2-3k these days.

250s are generally overpriced though as they've had such a strong demand due to being the only choice for many years for a learner getting into biking. Many early 90s 250s were pulling more money than a a late 90s 600...

Save your money to splurge when you're ready to move up to a 600 class bike. Money spent on a 250 will likely be wasted.

Definitely don't spend 9k, especially if financing it - you'll be paying it off forever and you'll be sick of it and ready to move up in a year but wont be able to afford the jump.

tbh I don't know what too do now, I wanted to get one from sumotos because it has everything i want and it feels safer getting it from there than from some guys house since I know very little on bikes. But on the other hand after seeing all the bad feedback from this place its putting me at a crossroads. I'm more learning towards paying the extra just for that scene of security, I would only be on it for a year till I get off the LAM, and into my 2007 R6 it wouldn't blow up in that time would it?

I started on a '91 CBR250RR, great bike for learning on. Tonnes of power to keep you interested and great handling but they are a small bike so if you're tall like i am (6'3") you'll look like a gorilla riding a bmx bike. Since moved up to an '08 Yamaha R6 which is a cruise missle with wheels but deffinatly not a learner bike.

2 most important things about riding are attitude and wear the right gear. Have an attitude of confidence but also level headedness. I've never crashed *knocks on wood* but the times i've nearly come off were when i was distracted so always concentrate and expect drivers to do stupid shit. Also wearing the right gear will save your life if you come off. Dont skimp and as a minimum wear boots that cover your ankles completely, kevlar jeans, good quality leather or textile jacket, good quality leather gloves with protection on the knuckles and obviously a properly fitted helmet. I see people wearing shorts and a t-shirt no gloves just a helmet and if they come off its years of skingrafts and rehab to get back to where they are now.

Remember its taken however many years you are old to make your body what it is, the road can undo that in a second.

Dont mean to put the mockers on you riding just want people to be safe and look after themselves, your best protection aside from gear is your attitude.