Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTiR

DC2 integra stalling randomly HELP!

Hey guys,

I need help diagnosing a problem that's been happening for about a week now with my 94 DC2 integra. I've had a quick search and I've found some helpful threads but the problem is still occurring.

The car just suddenly stalls randomly whilst driving or driving at slow speeds (happened a few times a day) Once it stalls, it doesn't turn on immediately. After turning it off for about a minute it'll startup again. This is the case everytime... I've already replaced the fuel pump a few months back so I can rule out that it isn't the problem.

The fuel relay was recently replaced as well. Problem remains.

Distributor coil was also replaced. Me and the mechanic both believed that was the solution after taking the old coil out. Drove it for about 30 minutes and it stalls again...I continued to drive the entire day and it didn't happen again...was it just a one of thing this time? I don't know...

What else could it possibly be...? I'm getting really annoyed and I'm constantly on edge while driving dreading that I'll stall at an intersection again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by JDM_VTIR; 22-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    "it's peanut butter jelly time!"

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Have you checked for codes yet?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTiR
    what do you mean by that sorry?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    coupe
    Mate, try spraying some carborator cleaner in the trottle body while revving it at about 2-3 grand

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    I mean checked for OBD ecu error codes

Thats the first thing I would do

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTiR
    Ah yeah. I had the mechanic do that already I'm sure. Ignition Control Module error came up the first time. Scanned it again and there wasn't anymore errors..

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTiR
    anyone else have any other suggestions? drove it tonight and it stalled 4 times...

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Damn sucks for you dude must feel like shit..

Umm is check engine light coming on before it shuts off?
    Any telltales like water temp going up?

Really hard to say I mean apart from the basics,spark and fuel and with no codes coming up its even harder..

Best of luck mate

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Also a longshot but maybe crappy fuel ? Its way random but hell who knows

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'd clean the TB of course since it's the easiest start. Idling fine? Not misfiring?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    sounds like the ignition control module is on its way out, exact same thing happened to my car.

before going out and forking $100 on a new module you can try replacing the thermal paste which sits between the module and the heatsink. Its cheap to do if you can do it yourself its what fixed the problem with my car. You see what happens with an old car is that the thermal paste becomes old and dried out so it does not transfer heat as effectively as it should so thats why your experience stalling. Its because the module is overheating and shuts off to protect its self from overheating damage. Then it cools down and works fine again. If you can change the thermal paste yourself then it should cost you $10-15 max.
    Last edited by grifty; 23-07-2010 at 12:38 AM.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTiR
    Check engine light and everything else you'd normally see when you stall appears. It's idling fine and it isn't misfiring at all. I'm going back to the mechanics today to sus it out further...I'll have a closer look at the ignition control module and hopefully all goes well this time...thanks for everyones input! I'll let you guys know how it goes.