Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1991 Honda civic

Gearbox / new oil

Hey guys
    i have a problem with my gearbox in my 1991 ED6 it crunches while driving at higher rpms so i have to change slowly or double clutch to prevent it...the gearbox oil hasnt been changed in atleast 2 years...im thinking of changing that but people are telling me that if i replace my gearbox oil i could wreck my car.. and also am told that u dont need to change the gearbox oil....personally i dont know how that works but i dont believe it, help would be much appreciated.!

For your question, im not too sure as i dont drive a manual, however, i dont get how the car would be wrecked in any way if you replace your gearbox oil.
    Last edited by ekay1; 30-07-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Moved Already

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    it is most likely a sign that your synchros in your gearbox for each gear are worn. Oil will not fix a wear problem, its a preventative maintenance thing, but there is definitely no harm in changing it. I once had success with the redline manual transmission oil in smoothing out a crunch from 1st to 2nd in my b16 box, it costs around $100 though for 5 litres of the oil on trade price but it worked really good and is still in the car today. Apart from that everyone on here will tell you to use genuine honda gearbox oil, you dont have to but you might feel better about it. Its a 75w 85 oil if i remember correctly, find out if thats right and essentially you can use any quality oil of that viscosity
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    buy new gear oil. and buy nulon adjective. and mix it in the gear oil.

should be abit better.

drain the oil gearoil and replace it with fresh new gear oil + nulon adjective

it works. and its cheap.