Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY engine conversion

Hey everyone, i hope im allowed to post this here as i dont know where else to but i have/am in the process of buying Rkds eg project car & was wondering if anyone could tell me/point me in the right direction of what im looking at to put a B16a in it from a used/wrecked car & how complicated is it to do?

I dont want something that expensive, it will only be a daily, not a monster lol, just wanted something vtec really, could even go a used SOHC one, but i dont know how much each engine would go for? what am i looking for like a SOHC vtec? i havent set a budget yet but was going to get an idea of average prices for different engines then just pick one that i know id be able to afford..

hope to get some feedback, thanks guys :-)

Member Array
    Car:
    2014 NSX
    sohc prices d16 vtec go for around $1k-ish, should incl gearbox , loom, etc
    b16a's from wrecked crx or eg6 go for around 2.5k-ish for a full conversion.

for your car gotta get engine mounts for the conversion of a B series and ecu.
    d16 should be a straight swap, plus ecu.

so you gotta take these figures into consideration, plus getting it engineered, labour, registered.
    etc, so gotta calculate the prices for these and take into consideration.

Is the rest like engineer cert, etc heaps costly? a ball park figure would really help..

From a D16 to a B16 or B18 no need for engineer certificate just get the motor blue slipped
    and hand in the papers to RTA saying that you've changed your engine number.

If you do the B16A yourself, you just have to source the running gear.
    AFAIK if your budget is tight you can still use the OEM mounts, but you will end up changing it later.

Hasport/Hybrid Racing mounts are $400-$700 depends if used/where you buy it.

Your ball park figure is roughly $5,000.
    I'm sure it'll cost less than that for a B16A transplant.
    Even B18's nowadays can be around that price for the total cost.
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    if engine capacity doesnt increase by over 15% you dont need an engineers cert

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    you can pick up a b16a for as little as 1500+ these days, some dreamers want 2500, but you would rather a B18C vtir which goes for the same price,

Thanks mate, anywhere you suggest to pick up an engine bout that price? how much would i be looking for the 1.6 vtec engines out of a normal honda? i dont know what model they are but i definitely know they aren't a B16A.. they should be cheaper right?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    the single cam vtec is just going to leave you dissappointed trust me, are you in sydney?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you're in VIC you will need an engineering cert for any B-series engine.

If the engine was not originally available in your car in stock form, Australian delivered, then you'll need a certificate.

Only way to do a swap without cert is if the engine is same as your original one or if the new one was optional in Australia.

If you want entertaining VTEC then go B series or H series

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    the single cam vtec is just going to leave you dissappointed trust me, are you in sydney?
    ye im in sydney

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    If you're in VIC you will need an engineering cert for any B-series engine.

If the engine was not originally available in your car in stock form, Australian delivered, then you'll need a certificate.

Only way to do a swap without cert is if the engine is same as your original one or if the new one was optional in Australia.

If you want entertaining VTEC then go B series or H series
    is this just for vic? Thanks for your help mate :-)

Member Array
    Car:
    Isabel
    Quote Originally Posted by Project-EG View Post
    is this just for vic? Thanks for your help mate :-)
    To my knowledge I think its in NSW as well, so the only way you can register an engine for your car is if its the same year or newer than your model which all of the B-Series are I think.. I wouldn't bother with going just VTI, you won't really be satisfied, your better off just going b16a, much more power, loud cross-over, it'll keep you happy
    Samm928: I must say your the biggest noob kid ever.
    that is all.

WTFPWNED
    Secretly trying to make my daily into a warrior without my missus knowing...