Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of selling the DC2R - vs 180SX

Hey guys

Im thinking of selling my DC2R, and get a nice 180sx, for more power and so on. I really miss the lack of low end torque I got from my Golf GTI, although I do LOVE VTEC. Im not into drifting, but into circuit work and going fast.

Do you think a 180sx with some modifications to suspension, and some engine work, all costing less than a decent DC2R, will handle as well as, and be faster than DC2R round the track, which has coilovers, intake and exhaust? Will it be as fun to drive?

Thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    it will definitely be funner cos its RWD. R's are great though

bro you cant go wrong with 4wd, find an evo for a good price

or even go for a Pulsar GTiR AWD, put in a dog box make the engine bulletproof with some leftover cash, ull have the most fun and be fkn fast at the same time

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    there's alot of thrashed 180's out there these days! just buy a dc2r with kswap... but all depends how much u want to spend.
    YB0057 DC2R K20a 12.32 @ 108mph
    1.79 60ft

True, there are alot of thrashed and poorly modded ones out there but if you can find a nice and clean one they are a good car and you will seriously have an unlimited amount of mods available

yeah ive foudn 2 very nice clean ones that im looking at. I hope to one day own a dc2r with a k swap, but have it as a weekend/track car. Hopefully in the next 5 years. But there arent that many for sale either

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    My mate has a farly low k 180SX Type-X... Full exhaust, intake, i believe 15(?)PSI and my B18CR powered DC4 with basic bolt-ons would eat him all day every day. SR20's are pretty average down low too.

Certainly a hell of a lot more potential power-wise tho if u intend on spending some buck$ on it.
    Getting there...

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    DC2R owns 180sx on the track an tight twisty roads. If anything goin to a 180sx is sorta a down grade, sure the parts are dirt cheap an plentyful, but ppl who buy 180 are drifters, wankers or those who simply enjoy a well all rounder performing sports car

You will hardly see any one the track, not many use em for that purpose

The chassis on the 180sx is no where as refined as DC2r, but in sayin so, as said, adding braces an that should make up for it, an did i mention the parts are cheaper? lol

Power wise, there SR20 are getting old, but still hold up pretty well, but noisey engines from the chain driven cams, just like any motor they will perform bad if not looked after

My thoughts on 180sx, afterall i use to own one, there nice as a daily, good power, had the torque to get off the line nicely, the interoir of the em = Fail, looks way to old, were in 2011, getting in one u would think its the 80's an 90's all over again

But if getting a 180sx, Get a type-X, as there newer, 1996 - 1998, an have much better seats an steering wheel, as well as a better performing turbo, T25g, as opposed to the standard T25
    Basic mods, cat-back, cooler an boost controller should see easily 160kw, with few more mods ontop of that, an ecu a easy attainable 180kw

Id definate say stick to DC2R if ur looking for a fast track car, but for a daily 180sx an the ocasional fun time
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    If you want a sr20, I think you should go s15. Or you can buy my dc2r with jdm k20
    YB0057 DC2R K20a 12.32 @ 108mph
    1.79 60ft

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    i remember i was at an open day at Wakey a long time ago,m and there was a guy with a 180sx, with very simple mods, just good suspension, reliability based mods predominantly to the engine and re55's and he was lapping 1:10's comfortably all day when all i could manage was 1:14's

if theyre done right they are a very capable chassis... i wouldn't just shit on them without understanding them
    Last edited by Zilli; 14-01-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: wouldN'T
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    ^^^ Agree. Theres a 180SX here in SA which currently holds the title for fastest local Time Attack car beating a whole bunch of Evo's, GTR's and FC's. Mind u the thing is 2JZ powered but im sure the chassis has something to do with its success too.
    Getting there...

there is absolutely no competition between the dc2r and 180...power and handling the DC2R pwns with almost no comparison to the 180... this is coming from me after test driving a s15 and then a dc2R as i was contemplating buying one or the other.. the dc2r shitted on the s15

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    DC2R owns 180sx on the track an tight twisty roads. If anything goin to a 180sx is sorta a down grade, sure the parts are dirt cheap an plentyful, but ppl who buy 180 are drifters, wankers or those who simply enjoy a well all rounder performing sports car

You will hardly see any one the track, not many use em for that purpose
    Erm, crude generalisation much? Let me ask you a simple question. Have you EVER tracked your 180sx?

From my all my track days (8 at Winton, 1 at Haunted Hills), there has ALWAYS been at least one 180SX or Nissan Silvia competing in a time trial. Not to mention their siblings, the S14 and S15. The 180sx has it over DC2R with many capable of going mid 1.40's with a similar spec sheet around Winton. Think about it for just a second now; they are similar weighted (the DC2R is slightly lighter) but the 180sx with BPU (Basic Performance Upgrades) will make more power and vastly more torque. The power/weight ratio would theoretically be better with the Nissan. Heres proof. I have 2 friends with Nissans. One has a Silvia and has done a 1.41 and the other who owns an S14 has gone 1.39 at Winton.

DC2R's have a great chassis but bang for buck, in regards to track racing then a 180sx would come out on top.